west lakes 15th feb

After Saturday's zero day fish wise,I decided to try a new spot at West Lakes.Arriving at a little beach not very far away from AAMII stadium (football park to us oldies).A very strong southerly blowing around 20 knots .I put on one of my bait fish imitation flies and nothing changing flies nothing.Finally I decided to put a Bass Gurgler on.Well why didn't I try this earlier 20 fish tried hitting this surface fly and number 15 gave me a great big laugh.Its been many many months since I landed such a tiny Bream.After that I hat five more hits but no more strikes.So at the end of 1 1/2 hour session with bait fishers invading and kids in kayaks I decided to head home .With a smile on my dial thanks to a tiny yellow fin bream.Posted ImagePosted Image

Must be the day for small fish mickyj - check out the club boards today ;D ;D :PBy the way -- although I am not into fly fishing I still know any fish on fly is a good fish. It's certainly an art ;) ;D Waterboy

Thanks waterboy I'll take that. :icon_e_biggrin:A couple of lure guys who came along got zero fish and left before I did .And I yelled out to one to try a surface lure ,they left way before I did .was fun and moving away from the northern beaches at the lake was worth the small fish. :fishing:cheers

I yelled out to one to try a surface lure ,they left way before I did .

That was me Micky, wish I'd had one with me, but you can bet I put one in my bag when I got home today!! ;) Next time I see you I'll have to introduce myself, I met Samboman today as well, he saw the strikehook sticker on my car and said hay, good to meet some local guys out on the water. 8)

That was me Micky, wish I'd had one with me, but you can bet I put one in my bag when I got home today!! ;) Next time I see you I'll have to introduce myself, I met Samboman today as well, he saw the strikehook sticker on my car and said hay, good to meet some local guys out on the water. 8)
you were the guy in shorts or in waders ?when u both left the baitfishers and kayakers turned up .Also noticed a lot of baitfishers down bartley tce on the way home.Samboman where abouts were u fishing ?I liked that little beach no weed .would be an interesting beach weekdays to fish IMHO.

you were the guy in shorts or in waders ?when u both left the baitfishers and kayakers turned up .Also noticed a lot of baitfishers down bartley tce on the way home.Samboman where abouts were u fishing ?I liked that little beach no weed .would be an interesting beach weekdays to fish IMHO.
I cant modify this post but the pontoon at the other end of the beach produced 6 hits after everyone left

i recon you would get alot more takes and less miss strikes? Just and idea.. lol

The 20 hits I was talking about wasn't your normal hit or tail spits.These tail spits make fly making rather hard if u make the tail long the tiny bream spit the fly to short and no Bream will take it .Now the 20 hits were the fish jumping up hitting the Gurgler (surface foam fly)and either not taking the fly or in 2 cases spitting the fly after a short run.And just like poppers gurglers go pop when they bob back up.And a note for lure or fly guys have a surfce fly/lure in your tackle box (popper etc). The little buggers weren't feeding under the waves but were trying to eat anything up top.And it was a windy day fancy that I was under the impression they dont take surface flies on a windy day.Geez now ends the Bream lesson :o I Must sound like a pratt or a know all so and so Cheers