Chest waders

Guest undertaker

Guest undertaker

Hi all. ;)Well,with the new winter season on it's way,that heralds my time to hit the sands again. ;DThe problem I face is that the old waders are due to be replaced. ::)My question to you guy's........which do you prefer.....the PVC type "Horne" brand that us "old blokes" grew up with,or the neoprene/wetsuit types available these days ???If anyone can give me some pro's and cons of each type....in your views......much appreciated.Cheers

I have the neoprene waders and they are hot, but thats ok when its cold :icon_e_wink:But I note when I am walking in them I get a chaffed section on my legs where the boot meets the neoprene above ankle height, I overcome this by wearing 2 pairs of socks and the second pair being long footy socks.

I was brought up on the rubber thigh boots and only in the last few years have grown to know and luv my "Horne's" PVC Chest waders.Remarkably tough for how thin they are and will take a few little bramble nicks etc without tearing or leaking much to my surpriseSo light that you can cover long distances effortlessly with a good "feel" on the soles as they again are quite thin.Great when it rains as you only need a short hooded top to keep dry.A "Doddle" to repair should they hole, no repairs on mine after 2 or 3 years of weekly fishingDrawbacks?, Calls of nature can be tricky with jacket, camera, knapsack all to be removed first, but this would be a given for Neoprene too ::). And yes, hot if it's sunny, but windproof in the winter. No I don't sell them, just regard them as an essential and well used/loved bit of fishing tackle :fishing:Cheers, tonyb.

Guest undertaker

Yes,I must confess that I like the PVC's as well.They both appear to be hot,but that's part of it I guess,and you "dress accordingly".As Ranger correctly pointed out,falling/tripping over could be an issue in the surf......filling with water and swept away wouldn't be that flash........had a couple of "nearly's" over the years. :oHmmmmmmmmmm,call of nature.......had a couple of "nearly's" there too :icon_lol:With the added expense of the neoprene,it seems an expensive way to find out that you may possibly not like them ::)Keep researching I guess :PThanks guy's ;)

G"day UT,I have both types and trust me if you think that hornes get hot ,the neoprene ones are totally unbearable.good in winter though,for what its worth they both have pros and cons but for what most would consider normal type fishing scenarios a good old fashioned set of hornes are hard to beat.Cheers

Here's a tip which may save you from an early trip to the undertakers If you ever get swept off your feet in the water, roll on your back and pull your knees up to your chest in the "foetal" position ???This has the effect of trapping the air in the knees of your waders and you WILL float in this position, even allowing you to padle back to the shore with your arms/hands.Might be worth trying a "Dry" run with your bathers and waders on some time if you don't believe me :icon_e_ugeek: ;)Cheers, tonyb.

Both are a good option but both have things you should be aware of. Obviously pvc waders can fill up when dumped and be dangerous.Neoprenes are safer and warmer and gives you more flexibility to move. However twice in neoprenes I was standing on a sandbar and the swell lifted me up and dropped me over the bar into deep water. Totally submereged I had no hassles getting up again as they don't fill- still scary though :PIf you can afford it get Hornes with the blundtsone boots. You can even have them made to measure ;) These are very tough, but if an accident/tear should happen they can professionally fix them for a small cost (and I mean small) Beats trying to patch up waders yourself and fixing your own dodgy jobs like I have in the past :P ;D Mark

Yep, listen to WB, I brought some Hornes waders from him christmas 2007 - best money I've ever spent. ADORE them! :P