First time back june 19th

Well it must be about six weeks since my last visit to West Lakes and hurting my knee.So with great trepidation etc. I headed forth hoping against hope of catching a fish.(sorry sometimes I get dramatic )So I arrived about 8.30 am suited up in my waders selected a popper/booby fly and away I went.Yep that's right 6 weeks ago I was on a quest to catch as many different fish and something big (I should be so lucky) on a popper .Given its now winter I wasn't hopeful.First section of beach I fished nothing I did roughly a dozen casts and moved on .This continued up the beach until I waded out to what could be called a sandbank with seagrass growing out the top of it .Now there are so many ways I could fish with a popper fly .And thinking the Bream weren't around I decided to keep the fly moving .And you guessed it second cast in and I'm moving this fly and I stopped it .Not that far in front of me and suddenly its being followed and POP out of the water this tiny fish .Wasn't a Bream shape so perhaps a small whiting ,mullet or Salmon, all I could see was its head shape .Suddenly I had hope .Sadly Four more casts in this spot didn't produce anything .So I fished the entire length or stretch of this beach and I decided to walk to the next beach .But with nil returns half way through this beach at 10am I decided I was thirsty so I drank most of my small bottle of water .And decided to go back to beach number 1 and cast my way back to my car.And by 11 am I had had enough and headed home .So no fish but there is something out there that will attack a popper fly in winter .Hope and a sore knee and hope wins out .Cheersuntil next flick

Keep trying Micky, as the salmon trout should be around this time of year. I tried Garden Island near the boat ramp and had a few follows from small mullet and gar but they wouldn't take a fly. Every now and then they would spook and leap from the water all at once and I thought maybe the ST's were about but alas it was a few shags that were feeding on them. No wonder they wouldn't take a fly, maybe next time.Cheers, Dave.

grubb wrote:

Keep trying Micky, as the salmon trout should be around this time of year. I tried Garden Island near the boat ramp and had a few follows from small mullet and gar but they wouldn't take a fly. Every now and then they would spook and leap from the water all at once and I thought maybe the ST's were about but alas it was a few shags that were feeding on them. No wonder they wouldn't take a fly, maybe next time.Cheers, Dave.

I will Dave weather wise it may be next weekend .The ST's were on my mind with the wind and waves and all the knee pain left me when that tiddler jumped at my popper.

Nice one Micky I admire your persistence I would have given up on the popper and gone for another fly.Since the soft plastic bug has bitten me Ive not picked up my flyrod nearly as much as I use too. It was a form of fishing I loved and really its about time I got off my backside and joined you guys for a wave of the wand.If ever you feel like the need for a partner to join in a session give me a shout and I'll dust off the rod and see if I can still catch a fish with it :lol: cheerssnapps

good on you for getting out there Mick,unfortunately there are no S/Ts in the lake this year...as you know the previous couple of years they were everywhere but i haven't seen or heard of any so far.Its probably a completely different set up but can you get it sinking??? cheers brenton

brenton wrote:

good on you for getting out there Mick,unfortunately there are no S/Ts in the lake this year...as you know the previous couple of years they were everywhere but i haven't seen or heard of any so far.Its probably a completely different set up but can you get it sinking??? cheers brenton

Then it wouldn't be a popper Brenton :laugh: Was hoping that the schools of Garfish were still in the lake .Its been six weeks so they must have moved on .anyway it was fun and a shock when something actually had a jump at it :P
snapperhead wrote:

Nice one Micky I admire your persistence I would have given up on the popper and gone for another fly.Since the soft plastic bug has bitten me Ive not picked up my flyrod nearly as much as I use too. It was a form of fishing I loved and really its about time I got off my backside and joined you guys for a wave of the wand.If ever you feel like the need for a partner to join in a session give me a shout and I'll dust off the rod and see if I can still catch a fish with it :lol: cheerssnapps

cheers Snapps I only had poppers with me so I wasn't tempted to change .I may take u up on your offer a bit further down the track .at the moment its all weather/knee permitting to when I get out .cheers

No worries I had a bit of a practice today, cast a few up and down the road my neighbours are starting to worry about me I think but you know what its like when you get the urge and are bored :lol::lol::lol: Must say Ive still got it I surprized myself but unfortunately the fish weren't biting and I didnt catch any :woohoo: cheerssnappsPS I dont know if its been done but perhaps we should organise a fly day down at west lakes where we all get together for a social fish

snapperhead wrote:

No worries I had a bit of a practice today, cast a few up and down the road my neighbours are starting to worry about me I think but you know what its like when you get the urge and are bored :lol::lol::lol: Must say Ive still got it I surprized myself but unfortunately the fish weren't biting and I didnt catch any :woohoo: cheerssnappsPS I dont know if its been done but perhaps we should organise a fly day down at west lakes where we all get together for a social fish

I would say when the weather is warmer it would be a goer.Lots of the guys on here fly fish the lake .