wallaroo and pt riley

its decided...im going to drive up, then down either tonight, or early morning for a try at riley pt and wallaroo jetty. not exactly sure where to go, but im open to suggestions on where to catch a snapper or 2.from the rocks i will be using the snyder glas and the alvey, and from jetty an ugly stick and abu7000...if anyone fancies some company and wouldnt mind a days fishing, sing out .. im all ears...always up for a chat and a fish.bait will be squid and tommies.now... WHAT do i need to bring to land a snapper from the jetty? i can get hold of a cliff gaff on a rope if my bro still has it.

thanks mate.... bro doesnt have the cliff gaff anymore.we sued to use it a lot on the santos jetty... but the bloke that used to take us doesnt fish it anymore, so niether can we.D'OHso bro sold the gaff....oh well... if its something real nice that i want to keep, where theres a will there is a way to land it.

davetheslave wrote:

one of those super large crab nets should be able to handle most snapper, but might need a bit sronger rope than they are supplied with.

yeah i did have a think about that... we got a mtre dimeter crab net haning around somewhere.i can see this is going to be one of them trips... where you take everything, and use just the basics.... :laugh:

ive just come back from wallaroo and the wind and weather has been terrbile there is not one snapper to be seen or any fish for that matter a few crabs but yeh i owuldnt waste my time atm. u cant go past the fence line anyway they r doing repairs along the grain part of the jetty so yeh. if you arte going there the best bet is salmon at the end of the marina or a few mullet and whiting there but the winds blowing straight down the jetty and yeh i dont reckon its worth it for the next few days nyway.....Brayden

southie wrote:

ive just come back from wallaroo and the wind and weather has been terrbile there is not one snapper to be seen or any fish for that matter a few crabs but yeh i owuldnt waste my time atm. u cant go past the fence line anyway they r doing repairs along the grain part of the jetty so yeh. if you arte going there the best bet is salmon at the end of the marina or a few mullet and whiting there but the winds blowing straight down the jetty and yeh i dont reckon its worth it for the next few days nyway.....Brayden

thanks mate.... well thats trip cancelled then. its big drive and i would like to get amongst them, but i can wait til next week.....cheers.

yeh i was disapointed to i spent 260 buxs for 2nights at the carvan park to get the spa cabin for the misses and to come out with no fish it was pretty disapointing. hopefully work well let me have time off work when the weathers better and come back for the snapps or just a nice feed of fish would be great...brayden

better luck next timesince that trip is now off, i just made a suggestion to bro that i tow his boat up to pt augusta and try for a king... but the gutters just fell off of his house, so thats tomorrows job for him.dammit.... another bro has a real nice tinnie, that he doesnt use... but wont sell it...i doubt if i could borrow it either as its a good one, and not somthing he would like to lend out as its only half his...the other half is his father in laws.but that would be a nice tinnie to take to pt augusta, easy to handle by myself,but its only tiny... 12 ft with a 4stroke on it.big enough though... ive seen far smaller bring in some thumper whyalla snapper before.

I wouldn't cancel the trip just stick to riley not the jetty. As is the case with the rocks around whyalla the rougher the better. Anywhere north of the point you will be in with a chance. We only fish it when its too rough to take the boat out and done pretty well off the rocks. Snapper, salmon, bronzies, snook and squid.

kayakfisher wrote:

I wouldn't cancel the trip just stick to riley not the jetty. As is the case with the rocks around whyalla the rougher the better. Anywhere north of the point you will be in with a chance. We only fish it when its too rough to take the boat out and done pretty well off the rocks. Snapper, salmon, bronzies, snook and squid.

hm ... now im thinking again.....bro was coming with me he dicided, but has now had something come up...well rather DOWN.... his gutters just fell off of his roof, so thats his job for tomorow.. :cheer:
Tako wrote:

Its not working out for you today mate, aye. I might be heading to wallaroo next friday night depending on the jetty being open, the weather and fresh bait supply.

yeah i think im gonna pull the pin on this trip, but it will happen... i dont want to drive all that distance, just to be able to fish one spot in the hope i might catch a snapper..so im going to wait til the jetty is open to cover all boases.