Another line question :)

I have a reel (Okuma Avenger 80) that I'm currently running with 8kg (approx 470m) on and I'm thinking of converting it to 10kg (approx 380m). The reel is basically only used off the beach with a 10-12ft rod (which needs to be upgraded), I use it to target salmon occasionally and have sniffed around with rays. Mainly gathers dust in the shed and isn't used.So my question is what line weight is best for beach fishing? I'd like to target gummies, schoolies, mulloway and salmon. I'm just not sure if 8kg is too light. Any help again would be much appreciated :)Cheers Tom

If the beach doesnt have a lot of snags (reef or rocks) I would think that the 8kg should be ok. I spooled my alvey up with 10 kg to fish for snapper off the rocks. RockNev uses 25lb for better abrasion resistance. If you are respooling anyway then it might be worth stepping up for your sharks. Give it a go with your current set up and see how it goes before spending money on something that you may not have to B)

Guest AC Hardfronts

for a good abraison resistant and good knots.. Yozuri Highbrid.. 10kg would be about as heavy i would go with this line as it gets a bite wirey in the heavy gauge..that or Platypus lowstretch 10kg.. will get a bit extra line with the lowstretch aswell.. What is your rod rated at?

Not a fan of Yozuri hybrid, have it on a few reels and its getting replaced asap. I have a spool of line i got on sale somewhere that still cost me a few bucks that I can spool it with. The reel is totally full as i've only used it a handfull of times so no where near needing replacement :) But I have at least 800m of a 1200m spool of 10kg lying around so I don't need to buy it.But if people think its still feasible to use 8kg I'll stick with it for now :)As for rods I do need to upgrade to more serious gear but for the time being the reel sits either on an uglystick gold 10ft 6-10kg rod or a 12ft 8-10kg silstar nautica (only bought this as it was too cheap to knock back @ $35) But I don't like the nautica as it doesn't look like decent quality at all (bottom range of silstar). So yeah will need to find something better built for the future :)