Haha you guessed it! Another line question :)

This is my final line/reel question :)I have another Okuma reel (there is a bit of a trend here) which is an avenger AV60. For some reason I put 8lb on there and the spool says it holds 450m of 12lb so I have a tonne of line on it. I never really had big plans for this reel but I use it for the same things as my smaller (avenger abf30) reel but I don't like to use it often as my wrist gets sore when flicking all day and its just way too big. So this reel tends to be thrown onto a 6'3" rod rated at about 6-8kg, a 7ft 8-10kg rod (which i totally understand is WAY too heavy for the line as you don't feel anything) as well as 10-12ft 6-10kg surf rods.Hopefully someone can make sense of this :) haha. I'm not sure of what line to put on it. The reel states it will hold 450yds of 12lb, 320yds of 15lb and 260yds of 20lb.So my problem (as I never used to think when I bought fishing gear) is I don't know what line I should have on it or what fish I should be targeting with it. Its good fun on the beach or rocks chasing salmon and I think it would be fine for snapper in a boat so i'm guessing I should spool it with 12lb or 15lb (leaning more towards 12lb).Again any help with this is greatly appreciated :) I'm really trying to organise myself and get myself out of the mess I seem to have gotten myself into so I can start enjoying a broader range of fishing.Thanks again everyone for any responsesTom

Going off the rods that you are using I would probably go for 15 lb which is 6.8kg. It really all depends on how you are going to use the reel. Sounds like its a bit of a general purpose type of thing with you swapping the reel between a few rods.My first rod was set up with 7kg line and was used on whiting flathead and bream. It caught spotted mackeral in the GC Seaway and a nice jewie in the broadwater at night plus countless rays up to a metre wide and all on a rod that was rated to 5kg. It was the only combo I had for years. :laugh:

Yeah the reel sort of gets changed around a lot. I don't have a heap of money being at uni, so for the time being I'm trying to work with what I have :) Basically the reel is used for off jetties, boats and rocks with the 6'3" rod and I use a 10 or 12ft rod for surf fishing (depends on the beach as to whether I use 10 or 12).