hey guys. was just wondering if wind on leaders are any good? and what sort of knot is best for them? i'm heading up to the NT soon for a coupla weeks and i'm gunna be using some kick ass lures (cheers fred) and i dont wanna lose them. or would it be better to just make my own leaders up with jinkai?cheers shane

Hey mate.The big advantage of wind on leaders is that they make a tiny knot when you join them to your main line. This means you can cast them through your guides and wind them back through your guides. If you use a joining knot like a uni to uni and use heavy jinkai it makes a chunky knot which will catch or clang though your guides. To join a wind on you will need a bimini. If you dont know it it i will do it for you.What is your main line.... Eg Braid in lbs?????and what pound leader do you want to run????

Guest addict

Howdy Shane . Get a book on knots or google the bimini twist. It's easier than it looks ,especially with braid. It i s a lot harder with mono tho .What fish are you chasing? To tie a good bimini takes lots of practice,trust me {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif

Hey i'm willing to teach you Shane or anyone. I don't know heaps of knots but i'll teach anyone who want's to know.When are you leaving Shane?The 70lb leader on 50lb main line will be perfect.The bimini twist is a very rewarding knot when you tie it right.Just for the record.... I'm not an expert.. People like Yak and finatic crap all over me for knot knowledge.

i know tuna, king, and samson boys that fish a spider hitch for their double. easy quick and sound. in their braid for the sambos they just do six os seven wraps. shane i still tie a bimini in mine but i would challenge anyone to break a 7 loop spider hitch in 50lbs braid. to tie the leader knot on i use a braid leader knot by geoff wilson. its easily the best way to tie one on. and very very strong. all charters use this one. as for wind ons if you dont make your own as i do, dont trust the cheap brands. the glue is crap and bindings loose. after ten to twenty casts they are shot and pull out. i would get steve morris top shot ones or dont even bother. {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif cheers srick

• 1 year later...

I know the is a late repley, but just helping out some of the new guys. The best way for connecting wind on leader is by doing a bimini twist and a spider hitch which is a bit easier to do.Its easy to connect with just leader to main line loop to loop connection. The best wind on leader that i prefer and use most is from the 'DJP Tackle' range.

80 lbs is enough for landbase shark fishing but if you want for jetty or other fishing areas you can go 150 - 250lbs but it all depends on the tackle you use.I mostly use 200lbs and I bought it for years from Adelaide Bait and Tackle and again .. 'Djp Tackle' brand. Its made from Jinkai and gives me plenty of strength when I need to fight the big ones. Its very easy for casting and it fitting nicely and evenly on the reel.

I prefer my 10ft Sabre 540 and a shimano baitrunner 6500 with 30 lbs main line and 80 lbs Jinkai wind on leader. I do lots of shark fishing and thats my favourite tackle. The surf rod from the jetty is sometimes fairly hard as its hard to control the fish when they come close to the jetty. Ive seen many guys struggle and they usually lose the fish around the pylons.Shorter game fishing rod with a 50 lbs and 150-200lbs wind on leader is the tackle on which you can pull out any shark which swim around.

Guest davidm#2

yea nah mate, i use a small game rod off the jetty but i will be using the 25 on a surf rod in the surf aswell.how big a shark do u pull up with that out fit. i use the same reel for mullies, didnt think it would be able to handle anything over 6ftthanz for the tip might have to get a windoncheers

You will be able to get a 6ft shark with no problem but sometimes it depends on the waves and current.Its very important to have very good drag set up on the 1/3 lbs of your main line. If you go very often on the surf then check the line so it doesnt have any damage and if it has cut the part of line or replace. As I said Wind On Leaders are very important.

• 2 weeks later...

Few days ago I went shark fishing in Port Hughes and I brought everything except for my bag shark rigs. :blush: So I had to go down to the Port Hughes store (with tackle, fish & chips..etc) and I found they have very good wind on leaders and shark rigs sold there.I bought a couple of each and started fishing. I caught a 4ft Bronzie but the rig is great. I cant quite remember the brand but go and buy some, they are sooooooo goood! :silly:

Just bought a few 4m wind on's off Ebay for a really good price in 60lb & 80lb. Was starting to get a bit sick of paying $10+ each for them & after loosing a few to whites thought would give them a go. 5 for $25, will see what they are like but the quality looks o.k, made from jinkai & cortland dacron.

I bought a few wind on leaders of ebay once and never again.They looked so good when I bought them but the mono slips out from the dacron very easily. Even the wind on's that guys said that are Jinkai may not be. Most times they lie. And the price of the wind ons in stores and on ebay is fairly different. Obviously the wind ons from ebay aren't all that good. Mates always tell me to not buy wind on leaders with heat shrink.

• 2 weeks later...

hey fellas.....im hitting the west coast of south OZ. my lure rod is a 12ft Daiwa Sensor Surf and a shimano baitrunner 4500 with 30pound line (i think)....just wondering what a good leader would be....i plan on it just being my lure and light weight casting combo....i have 60 and 80lb jinkai....but even 60 might be overkill?,,,,i do the bimini and ted donelan leader knot...the combo is very snazy!i'll appreciate a hand with the leader poundage :) thanks!

shark wrote:

I used to buy 40 - 60lbs wind on leaders from Adelaide Bait and Tackle for situations like yours but if you expect something heavier like shark or mulloway then use 80lbs.

cheers mate! im only expecting 8-10 pound salmon :D:D:D so i think the 60 will be fiiinee...if anythign big takes it...could make for some more fun! cheers!

G"day acj,if you are using an eggy with 30lb line,unless using braid you shouldnt need a wind on leader.Unless you are using an overhead or light line ie 15lb and under 30lb straight through shouldnt be a prob ,but I take it you are using braid in that case a length of mono leader material would give you a buffer.The normal scenario with shock leaders is 3 times the strentgh of the mainline ie 20lb line a 60lb leader.Cheers B)