surface fun

Well I hit the lake again this morning with high hopes .Deciding it was time to return to my favourite style of SWFF in my shorts and old sand shoes I left the pvc waders at home(last weeks sauna on feet was not fun).So in to some cold water I went .Where were the fish I could see them early but they were now!!Deciding to head to the next beach I walked up the foot path and saw them sitting in the sun.With the wind coming from the wrong direction I needed to walk past the fish and cast at them.With a few more casts with no interest in my White and Orange popper fly I changed over to a Barbie pink one.And in all truth half the pink came off in my hand.But I put it on and after a few casts I had successfully scared one large bream. And had four tiny fish pop out the water at Barbie.So finally deciding to head to the next beach I was off .A local told to try this spot there's some fish there .And fist cast with Barbie bang I'm on with a very tiny Bream but he spat the fly very quickly.At this stage they were going off jumping at my fly I think I had about 10 jumps pops even one almost at my side .Then nothing went back to beach one found the fish but nothingBut no more strikes I'm afraid the tide was going out and the fish had stopped playing.That was it two hours of fun in the morning sun.

Gday MickyFrom reading your posts i know you obviously love your surface flies which I can fully understand as it is a great visual form of fishing but I was wondering whether you are trying any sub surface flies to see if these might be more effective.The reason why Im asking is that not only am I thinking it is still a bit early in the season for poppers but Im tossing up whether to drag out the fly gear and have a crack myself tomorrow morning at West Lakes. I havent got any suitable surface flies and can only use clousers, crazy charlies etc.What do you reckon are my chances with these style of flies then.cheerssnapps

snapperhead wrote:

Gday MickyFrom reading your posts i know you obviously love your surface flies which I can fully understand as it is a great visual form of fishing but I was wondering whether you are trying any sub surface flies to see if these might be more effective.The reason why Im asking is that not only am I thinking it is still a bit early in the season for poppers but Im tossing up whether to drag out the fly gear and have a crack myself tomorrow morning at West Lakes. I havent got any suitable surface flies and can only use clousers, crazy charlies etc.What do you reckon are my chances with these style of flies then.cheerssnapps

Hi Snapps I'm just on a Craze at the moment and the rush from a jumping fish .Yep you could / should pick up a fish with a more tradional Fly .Not sure about the big ones 40 to 50 cm in the ankle deep water I was trying for.Damn wind :P Hence the tiny surface flies guys ;) Just be aware that the fish didnt seem to "wake up" until the sun was all over the water.Pre to that they weren't interested and by low time they'd gone to sleep again.BUT today I only fished one side of the lake normally I walk the two .And they were certainly hitting the surface but only the littleuns.Keep me imformed snapps.And just for Brenton "your" beach had the 40 to 50 cm fish .And if Benny reads that sentence well before your name mate ;)
Mickyj wrote:

snapperhead wrote:

Yeah I will let you know how I go.I gather you fishing the beaches down the northern end of the lake

Today and Tomorrow yepBut not always ;) I do move around sometimes :laugh: Just look for some kind of structure Snapps even the odd seaweed bed or shadow may hold a bream .Cheers
Just quoting myself here snapps .I just had a coffee (woke my brain up :ohmy: ).Thing about the areas I fished today and the place that got the most attention the coffee turned a "light"(brenton and benny thats for u 2) on ;) .If u did use a Clouser or charlie or the fly that Joe gave me at the meeting the other week .You may lose a few flies .The ground while covered with sand contained Rocks stones and more Rocks .By using a floating line and a popper/surface fly it took that risk out of equation .Not the remants of snot weed :P And I tended to locate most of todays fish in areas between weed sea grass sea weed or snot weed banks .Plus I also have luck in areas of shadows cast by over hanging trees .For some reason Bream will sneak attack all types of flies from areas of shadows not just surface flies.I undertsand I'm way out on left field up top on the surface.BUT hell its a BUZZ when it works and just plain FUN when the fish are jumping.Cheers TightlinesMick

Micky, try the surface flies around some of the areas with lights when the sun goes down. The fish will lurk on the edge of the light, my mates and I used to use this technique with surface lures for snook off the jetties at night. Maybe the poppers might just be worth a try at night.Cheers, Dave.

grubb wrote:

Micky, try the surface flies around some of the areas with lights when the sun goes down. The fish will lurk on the edge of the light, my mates and I used to use this technique with surface lures for snook off the jetties at night. Maybe the poppers might just be worth a try at night.Cheers, Dave.

I have been trying to get down to the lake twilight and latter .But have been doing heaps of OT and then to tired to have a flick .Reckon u may be onto something Dave And dont get my topics wrong the last two weeks have been fun .