I gotta say, I don't really have too many highly secretive, hush hush, murder ya grandmother, sacred, never to be spoken fishing marks!I use another method, and I'd like to share that wiv ya, coz it's also good for anyone new to boating, to start aquiring a few spots of their own.I just buy one of thise cheap books on GPS marks, that we all know are pretty inaccurate, and supply all the very well known marks that cop a hammering constanly.I enter all the relevant marks for an area into my plotter, and I give them a name. When I neme them though, I always make sure the name ends with a "B". ie: SiltB, GrangeB, GoannasB, etc, etc.then at a glance at my plotter I can instantly see these marks came from a book, and they may not be reliable.When I get out to the ground, I just start sounding around the area, until I see something on my sounder which looks interesting or promising. When I find this "structure" I mark it in my plotter, but I name it without the "B" at the end. Then I delete the original mark for that area which did end with a "B".ie: I replace SiltB, with Silt (the new mark I've found myself).Eventually, after working these areas, I slowly replace all the book marks, with marks I've found myself and CAN rely on!This way, whenever I'm exploring a new area, I always have an indication of where to go to put me in the general area, and a few marks to look at. When I've found my "own" mark there, you'll always find me well away from all the other boats, instead of jostling for position and tossing lead weights at each other while yelling abuse back and forth. Ranger is 300m away enjoying the serenity and occasionally chucking another fish into the kill tank! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Guest dabilda

My method exactly Ranger only I use an * at the end.Won't find me sitting on a mark ie Norma etc. Last time I headed out to the Norma there were about 8 - 10 boats on it so i pulled up a few hundred metres short and drifted. Never found any spot worth marking that day, but got half a doz KG's & 5 squid on the drift, then went closer to the Black Pole for some crabs.As you say, those books are great for getting you to a known general area and from there use your sounder. Do the research, put in the time and you'll gradually build up a list of your own marks.Once that is done, use a diary and record each trip...... time, tide, moon, sunny/cloudy, temp etc etc and you'll start to work out a pattern of what mark/area fires under what conditions, and for what species.You're well on your way to becoming a successful fisherman.DaBilda

Once that is done, use a diary and record each trip...... time, tide, moon, sunny/cloudy, temp etc etc and you'll start to work out a pattern of what mark/area fires under what conditions, and for what species.

Maybe that's another post topic! What do we all find important info for our diary records?

I've got 100 or so metro marks that are worth while and i never save anything if i don,t catch a fish there.I'd reckon i only get about 6 new marks a year and each one is a cause for celebration because there can be a lot ofwater between the fish sometimes.As for specific info (tides moons etc)that i would put in a diary well i don't bother with the KG but sure do with the ruggers. cheers brenton

I have found that the books are around that mark given, you can always find something in the general area if you sound around for a while, it dosent pay to be lazy.Another thing to look out for if you are hunting KG's, where ever the books give a whiting ground, you will find that they are out in front of sand hills, so if you see sand hills along the coast line then work these areas, in close or out into deeper water, once you stray from the line, then you will find KG's hard to find.flog95 is a very good program for all record keeping wether it be on boat or land, well worth getting yourself a copy, it has heaps of other good info as well, it keeps getting updated once a year, so its good value, you will find you are using it all the time.And no i dont have any tie up with the program or anything[/color:25z9xyu5]