Trout flies

Ok so before everyone jumps on me .Lets just start this topic with me saying that I am a slow and methodical person who never just jumps straight into anything(with the exception of Fly fishing for Bream).So after being stuck at home for a few weeks and watching countless fishing shows from the UK .I am now determined to have a ago at some Trout ,brain washed comes to mind .Ok what flies should I have in my fly boxes I was given a few years back a fly box with some irish wet fliescontains 17 flies in either 12 or 10 sizesthey areNumber12'sBibioBlack & Peacock SpiderBlack PennellDark Olive dunBlack GnatCoonemara BlackGreenwell's SpiderSooty OliveNumber10'sBumble ClaretBumble OliveGreen PeterDabbler ClaretDabbler OliveMurroghGolden MayGoslingWas told in the chat box last week Cricket patterns work in SA.So I managed to buy one from a site sponsor (I think so I wont name them)And Rangfish has told me mrs Simpsons work well in certain Club Dams.And after watching a show on Fox not about fishing but they managed to bag a wild trout from the otter river in england after missing out on day 1.The host said this little dittie Pheasant tail never Fails.And they caught a small wild brown on a fly tied from Pheasant tail.So firstly will those wet flies work in SA and what other types should I be buying .Also seen trout egg flies do they work here and what time of the year are they fished.Thanks for any helpCheersMickPSI take it Redfin(also natives) will also fall to trout flies.

I would also add a red matuka (wet fly) to that list, as I mentioned in chat box the other day.In fact that would be the wet fly of my choice for trout here in SA. Get one that is reasonably large (not sure of hook size) but this gives the trout a chance to see it.You are right that the reddies will hit most of those flies and hit the cricket imitations too. The trout here do have a liking to small fish, so anything that can imitate a smelt will do well as well.Brett

reelin wrote:

Thats a pretty big collection of flies there mickeyj I reckon you should just get out there and try some and see if they work!! You might get hits on ones that no one else has used and it could be your new secret weapon B)

I may just do that once I find a water way looks like I'll head southish at this stage.