brining pilchards

This is what i do,make the strongest brine you can even if all the salt does not dissolve thats ok. Put the container of brine in the freezer overnight,if you have put enough salt in it will not freeze,add the freshest pillies you can find and pour a bit more salt on the top and leave for 1 day then place the container back in the freezer for 5-6 days,check every couple of days to move them around a bit.Doing it this way will stop the pillies shrinking as they dehydrate and you can take them away with out the need for ice.If you prefer you can take them out the slurry and freeze them in packs to use at your leisure. If you want them a bit softer take them out the slurry earlier. cheers brenton

Those of you who've fished with me know how much I love fishing for snapper with the humble pillie :cheer: ...... here's how I do mine to toughen them up a bitI don't brine my pillies.. I just layer them in swimming pool salt A box of some sort (a suitable sized esky) You'll also need a few kilo of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. Expect to use a half kilo of salt for no more than two and a half kilo of weight of bait.Swimming pool salt may be the cheapest to use (10 kg for $4.29 at Woolies)After covering the bottom of the esky with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) The bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done.Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. You'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait.After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain.If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration.If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained bait in zip-loc bags about the right size for fishing trips, make sure it has a tight seal. Dont let it get freezer burn and stick them in the freezer.If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy.If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together.Save bait like this during certain times of the year for use during those times when fresh bait is very scarce, like mid-winter. The salt will prevent freezer burn. Here's a pic of my pillies being salted (geez, I love my pillies / :P )Posted Image

Fishie wrote:

Those of you who've fished with me know how much I love fishing for snapper with the humble pillie :cheer: ...... here's how I do mine to toughen them up a bitI don't brine my pillies.. I just layer them in swimming pool salt A box of some sort (a suitable sized esky) You'll also need a few kilo of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. Expect to use a half kilo of salt for no more than two and a half kilo of weight of bait.Swimming pool salt may be the cheapest to use (10 kg for $4.29 at Woolies)After covering the bottom of the esky with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) The bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done.Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. You'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait.After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain.If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration.If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained bait in zip-loc bags about the right size for fishing trips, make sure it has a tight seal. Dont let it get freezer burn and stick them in the freezer.If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy.If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together.Save bait like this during certain times of the year for use during those times when fresh bait is very scarce, like mid-winter. The salt will prevent freezer burn. Here's a pic of my pillies being salted (geez, I love my pillies / :P )Posted Image

HI fishie when i salt fresh pillies i collect the juice and, mix it with some tuna oil it works well.

its been covered a few times, but its always a great conversation. i put mine on a tub lid, a couple of layers of paper, then a layer of salt, pillies, more salt, pillie, more salt...etc etc etc... i leave them overnight, then change the salt for fresh stuff... i also keep the salt to chuck that scent out into the water...they go tough as nails... normal pilchards have the consistence of dog shit, when salted they are fantastic for staying on the hooks

Borryking wrote:

rocknev wrote:

normal pilchards have the consistence of dog shit

Just wondering what size hooks you are using with those barker's eggs Nev, and what species you are chasing? :)
hehehehehe... im guessing dog sharks, or dog tooth tuna.. dont seem to do ver good on catfish though... then tend to swim the other way.