There's heaps of info on the net for fly-tying.Figure out what species you want to target, and do a search for Flies for that particular fish, and I'm sure you will find a step by step tutorial to tying some.They list hook sizes, materials used, colours, and usually with pics through the process.This site has helped me a lot with Saltwater ideas.. Try on Flyand they have a Species / Fly indexAlso a gallery of fly pics..Good luck.

Hi Tom,I have a small collection of fly tying books.I would highly recommend you get yourself a copy of "Fur and feather" by Peter Luever.This is the first book i would buy.It is trout based not saltwater but thats what I am in to.It may be a bit short on patterns but the tying principals described in the back section are very handy.Australias best trout flies compiled by Malcolm Crosse and edited by Rob Sloane (fly life editor) is a good reference for patterns.I occasionally refer to Australian fly patterns by Peter Coulson.However this book draws much criticism for its bastardisation of existing patterns and the inaccurate depiction of many flies in the photos featuring wrong hooks incorrect materials and many other errors.It is still a handy reference as it covers salt ,trout and native fish.I do an annual trip to NZ and therefore "trout stream insects of New Zealand" by Norman Marsh is a must have.Other handy books are "the pursuit of fly tying"by G.E.P Rowney.If you can afford it the flytyers bible is fantastic.Lastly if you can find and afford a copy of "Dry flies of the Fleurieu Peninsula " by Ray Brown buy it.Only forty copies were published and it is one of the most sought after books now worth thousands of dollars.Ray is an honourary life member of SAFFA now residing in Tassy.Some of his flies (and the book) are featured in Fly Talk at the back of the latest edition of Freshwater Fishing magazine(issue 101).You could also join SAFFA and get access to our enourmous library of fly fishing books which has been growing steadilly for over sixty years.Hope this helps CheersRollcast

Cheers heaps lads some very useful information there :) I'm not sure on the type of fish i'll be targeting yet but trout are definitely on the cards. For now i'd just like to get into fly tying as a hobby as I think there is a real art in it itself. I love something fishing related to keep me busy when i can't go fishing. Making up rigs is incredibly dull, I need something which requires patience and skill and I think fly tying fits this profile well. Thanks for you help (I'm sure i'll have some more questions later)