Shark and Surf Reel

ayee,Looking at geting a new reel for balloning, i currenlty have a 6/0 so i was loking at geting a 9/0 but am on a budget so was looking at a daiwa sealine 900h, which holds 720m of 50 pound line and can get that pretty cheaply. Havent really heard anything about the reel and was wondering if it would be worth geting?Also loking at geting a new surf reel for chasing mullies,sharks and rays with, would a 950 Penn spinfisher do all that?Cheers FSW

The Daiwa Sealine 900H and the Senator 9/0 are pretty much on a par as far as I'm concerned.........line capacity,reliability,ruggedness..........and weight........They are both bullet-proof,old school type reels,that are perfect for your application.The Penn 950 is a good surf reel too......thinking 320m of 30lb........plenty.my 2c worth. ;)

Guest shagging
fullysikwog wrote:

ayee,Looking at geting a new reel for balloning, i currenlty have a 6/0 so i was loking at geting a 9/0 but am on a budget so was looking at a daiwa sealine 900h, which holds 720m of 50 pound line and can get that pretty cheaply. Havent really heard anything about the reel and was wondering if it would be worth geting?Also loking at geting a new surf reel for chasing mullies,sharks and rays with, would a 950 Penn spinfisher do all that?Cheers FSW

Ok in my opinion 50 pound is overkill! 30 is plenty and you realy dont need that much line(but wont hurt) 500 metre spool will be ample for the kind of fishing you wanna do i run a 950 penn with a 10ft 8 to 12 kilo rating rod! in saying that the 950's a heavy reeljust make sure you get the right balance or casting will become an issue.(might be overkill for mullies and rays,but needed for shark due to the stopping power of the reel) but definetly the penn is the tool for the job! go see dubs down tackle world salsbury he can fit you with both.
shagging wrote:

fullysikwog wrote:

Ok in my opinion 50 pound is overkill! 30 is plenty and you realy dont need that much line(but wont hurt) 500 metre spool will be ample for the kind of fishing you wanna do i run a 950 penn with a 10ft 8 to 12 kilo rating rod! in saying that the 950's a heavy reeljust make sure you get the right balance or casting will become an issue.(might be overkill for mullies and rays,but needed for shark due to the stopping power of the reel) but definetly the penn is the tool for the job! go see dubs down tackle world salsbury he can fit you with both.
yeer fair call mate, 50 pound might be overkill,but i think i need the extra line for landbased sharking, i will be targeting sharks from mainly stenhouse bay so i think 50 pound and the extra line could be helpful.cheers FSW