Quick Line Spooling Question

Would love anyones opinions on this as I haven't done it before so I'd like to get it right :) I've always filled a reel with braid from scratch so I've never had to top up a reel.I'm headed away over easter and i'm tired of breaking my line and missing bites and not having a good enough feel/connection with whats on the end of my line due to stretch so... I'm chucking on some braid.Now, I've purchsed 250m of 8lb braid (apparently equivalent to 3lb mono) to spool onto my avenger ABF30 and have a couple of questions I would really appreciate answered :)With my reel I got a spare spool which is graphite that I don't use and is 3/4 spooled with 10lb mono and the aluminum spool is filled with 6lb mono.Graphite Spool: lbs/yds 6/330 8/260 10/180Aluminum Spool: lbs/yds 6/330 8/260 10/180I'm keen on putting on the whole spool of braid as I use the reel for snapper occasionally and the capacity may come in handy one day. This reel is soon to be shelved as I'll be purchasing a new reel for SP's so it will mainly be a spare but I'd like improved performance for the time being :laugh: 1) Which spool should I put it on?2) Does it matter what strength the backing is?3) What is the best knot for mono to braid attachment? (I was thinking a double uni knot but others may have a stronger alternative)4) How on earth do I work out how much line to take off the reel before I spool on the braid so it fits all of it? :woohoo: Any help would be great :) CheersAt the moment I'm considering putting it on the graphite spool with 10lb backing, but am very willing to hear anyones opinions :)

What I've done in the past, and hasn't failed yet... Althought it might not be the best, its done the trick for me :woohoo: statesquider wrote:

1) Which spool should I put it on?Either. As long as the diameter of the line is pretty similar, it shouldn't matter. With 250 yards of braid it'd be pretty unlikely you'd ever get to the knot anyhow. 2) Does it matter what strength the backing is?As above. There is a post RE line backing in this forum...http://www.strikehook.com/forum/38-the-reel-shop/73003-backing3) What is the best knot for mono to braid attachment? (I was thinking a double uni knot but others may have a stronger alternative)I've used the albright, and done the trick. Any of those knots would do the trick though, and again, unlikely you'd even get down to it.4) How on earth do I work out how much line to take off the reel before I spool on the braid so it fits all of it? :woohoo: I'd say just put enough for a backing, plus a bit more. If you had around 50 metres of the mono left on you should be about right. If you're not though, you'll have to take the braid off again, then get rid of the mono you don't need, all in reverse order of how you'd normally put it on. Will be in a pain in the arse.

Good luck

Legend! Cheers for the help, I reckon i'll do the 10lb graphite spool as I only just filled the other one the other week :)I was hoping there may be some trick to working out how much :) I guess i'll play around in the shed until I get it right as I really want the spool to be as full as possible.May have to test it out in the torrens tomorrow or the day after as I can't wait until thursday when I head off :) Way too keen!Cheers again mate

its a bit of a pain but best way is to empty the spool then fill it with the braid first then you'll see how much backing you needthe backing should be around the same diameter as the braid so it lays on there nicely.make sure you fill it right up to the lip too, it will help a lot with casting distanceyou have to put braid on really firm too, keep plenty of weight on it!!

vapor wrote:

you have to put braid on really firm too, keep plenty of weight on it!!

Yes, very important! Also, if you have a spare spool you can fill one with braid and then top it off with mono, then just wind it onto the other spool and it will be perfect. I know you said the other one was already full, but you could use this method in the future.
plankton wrote:

if you have a spare spool you can fill one with braid and then top it off with mono, then just wind it onto the other spool and it will be perfect. I know you said the other one was already full, but you could use this method in the future.

This is definately the way to go about it, otherwise it's nothing more than an uneducated guess, and you really want the braid to fill the spool to the lip so that it casts properly.Use the Aluminium spool! The other spool is cheap, and they have a tendancy to bend out of shape a little and create issues, so just keep that as a spare.Try to use a similar diameter backing as the diameter of the braid, although this is not really crucial, it just helps the knot to hold a little better.Backing to braid knot use double uni for similar diameters, or the albrights if the diameters are vastly different.

I always spool the line onto a large reel and rod that I don't use first and run it through the first eye then through to the another rod with the reel I want to spool up (if that makes any sense). Then I turn up the drag to something reasonable on the big reel and tie the line through to the spool I want filled and slowly fill it under a good amount of drag so the line always sits nice and evenly and tight :) (I love doing it like this because you can also use it to empty a spool by reeling the big one, saves a lot of hassles)I'll empty the aluminum spool and fill it with braid then 10lb mono, then take it all off and put it back on backwards :)Cheers Gentleman :)

So majorly confused at the moment...Went to spool up the reel with braid to then put on the mono and reverse and totally filled the spool with braid... (it is as tight as it can get)Now the 8lb braid was about half the width of 10lb mono I have but it filled the spool totally. So either I scored more line than I was supposed to get on the 250m spool of braid as my reel fits 260yards of 8lb mono and I managed 250m (270yards) of 8lb braid.Or have Okuma got it wrong as to how much line fits on the reel?Or possible does the line recommendations on the reel actually mean braid and not mono... Does anyone have this reel? Okuma ABF30Cheers