Light weight snapper outfit

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has an opinion on what light weight outfit they would use for snapper. I am usually an overhead man so would like to stick down that path. I already have an abu7000 and a charter special for the bigger deeper stuff and just wont something lighter for in close. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

i guess it depends what you call lightweight. You could use bass gear like Daiwa's SOL combos. I have a medium spin Sol combo and that makes light work of snapper. My best on it is 62cm.That said, if you want some real fun, scale your tackle down to 4-6lb spin gear. I use a 2500 TwinPower on a Finesse Bream Raider and it makes just legal fish into a great opponent.

fishnfreak wrote:

i guess it depends what you call lightweight.

True.I usd to fish with guys chasing ANSA records for snapper on 1 Kilo :ohmy: Personally I probsbly wouldnt be going much lighter than 3 kilo in case that fish of a lifetime comes along, but dont forget you stil need enough strength in the line to bury your hook in a snappers mouth ;)

howdy cweed,i use daiwa 2506 custom kix spooled with 10-15 pound braid which makes for good sport on small fish and larger fish.2500 sized reels like luvias,aspires and similar make good sense due to their quality drag systems.as for rods to suit the list is endless but something to think about would be something with a slightly longer butt to suit rod holders in a boat and graphite constuction because of its lightweight.this outfit can also double up as a plastics rod aswell.another rod feature which comes in handy for this type of fishing is to fish a slightly stiffer tip so that this will allow fishing baits,sinkers etc.hope this helps.i personally have landed reds up to 12 kgs on this gear and is great sport.cheers adamibinfishin