Guest davidm#2

yeah pillies are like that, i wouldnt freeze defrost and refreaze them thats when they go mushy.and usually bags are better than a block. probs the best way to keeep pillies for a while would be to salt them.cheers

salting them always works for me- i just line them up on newspaper in my backyard on a warm sunny day- i use plain Saxa Salt- sprinkle salt on one side of them, wait half a day, turn them over and do the other side, wait the second half of the day- always be ready with a broom or whatever to keep the neighbourhood cats away :P and they are all good for fishing- hope this helps you out a bit, cheers :)

4loveoffishing wrote:

cheers for that ill be trying the salt idea i reckon thanks for the info :)

Just use water softening salt from Bunnings. 6 bucks for 20Kg. Works very well for me. I use plastic bucket and layers of salt and pilchards. keep it in my shed for 4-5 days then go fishing or just freeze them.
Guest shagging
rocknev wrote:

i salt mine in layers of salt for 5 days.... they turn out great like old boot leather... tuff as nails and will last ages in the water.layer of salt, layer of pillies, layer of salt, layer of pillies.... i use cheapy cooking salt a buck for 2kg....

maybe im not putting enough salt when i tryed it! :)
shagging wrote:

rocknev wrote:

i salt mine in layers of salt for 5 days.... they turn out great like old boot leather... tuff as nails and will last ages in the water.layer of salt, layer of pillies, layer of salt, layer of pillies.... i use cheapy cooking salt a buck for 2kg....

maybe im not putting enough salt when i tryed it! :)
mate... they WILL go like old boots.... maybe you didnt leave them long enough.but i also change the salt every day, saving the old smelly stuff for clean new stuff...when we hit the becahes around elliston, i had my 5 day salted, and the bro used his overnight salted pillies...we ended up using his for belrey, as they still were a tad like dog crap compared to the longer salted.