To Braid or not too Braid

Ive been a mono user all my life and with all the push for braid i was hoping someone could explain why it seems better. Im maily thinking of using it on a reel for flicking plastics about. Will it work ok on an alvey sidecast or is a spinning reel the go? Do i still used a mono leader or can I use the braid directly with my plastics/poppers etc.From reading the forum i have now learnt about 8strand, Pe etc but the basics still elude me. Is it worth buying some and converting one of my reels and as im only after bream, flatties etc what strength do i go forthanks for any helpspog

Guest pin point

if your gonna be flicking plastics you need braid for the sensitivity, i use 6lb for bream but id like to downgrade to 4lb. you will need a mono leader to the eye of whatever your tying on, i use the stren knot for tying the leader to braid, heres a link to the site if you need it, http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/article/Gear-and-Techniques/Two-New-Knots umm other than that i cant really help, good luck. ps if you do go with braid be carefull of windknots, make sure the line goes on the reel nice and even with a fair bit of tension on it.

id suggest not on the alvey mate.. and im an alvey fan!def suits the spin reels better. fantastic for lures and plastics. greater casting ability and immense sensitivity you still need a mono/fluro leader for best results. common knots are the albright for joining mono/braidi grew up in coffin bay fishing mono all my life. ive really only gone top braid since i started fishing fresh water heavily. but now i use it on all my small rods and a couple of larger ones!

Thanks for the quick heads up guys. The link to the knot site is a little ripper-thx pin point. I'll get some 6lb and give a go and thx Del for the alvey info-ive got a spare egg beater dusting up the shed so i'll give it a nice little service and start flicking. Also the leader info was a big help :)

great site for ya!http://www.animatedknots.com/i run 8lb braid on all my reels, as i used to run 8lb mono for the same fishing. can get greater spool filling due to the smaller diameter. make sure it goes on very firm. every 8-10 casts cast out and firm retrieve the line back onto the spool. this will help avoid wind knotts later. i got wind knots in my first week.. then once in my next month... and once about 6 months later.. the first few sessions is where you will find problems.doesnt hurt to stick a decent weight such as a salmon slug/blade lure or even a sinker every now and again and cast as far as you can to re lay that braid down nicely!

Spog can I suggest you have a look at some of the threads that people have talked about the equipment they use for this type of fishing. The last thing you want to do is put very fine braid on a 4000 series reel that was made 20 years ago as you're going t oget into trouble straight away.What del said about knots in the first week when starting out with braid is all too true. The beter the quality will see you get less but initially you WILL get knots. There is a bit a techinque when using ultra light gear and it may be worth trying out someones gear before you go setting yourself up.Once you get your head around braid, you will end up buying a better quality reel that is meant for it, then a new rod and before you know it you will have a few hundred buck worth of gear but loving every second of it ! I started with a $60 penn reel $50 braid and a$50 rod... now... well not important but the difference it what it gives my fishing is for me.The manufacturers make their product for sensitivity and feel these days. Running braid on a 20 year old broom stick with a big old clunka reel isn't going to do the braid any justice. They are so ligt and the braid so touchy you feel this slightest bump against the softplastics.My two cents... remember if you want this for bream, flatties etc... you only have to have you're gear rated to a few kilo tops other wise you ARE losing feel. Not many 3kg bream out there

Guest SnappaHunta

Only tip I'd have would be to put a bit of mono backing on the reel, then wind the braid on, I do this to stop any slippage( I honestly don't know if it's necessary, but it works for me) also, I wet the braid first then spool it on under strain. Again don't know if this is essential, but I've always done it and NEVER had a drama (touch wood). Oh and one more thing, if you go to the trouble of trying the braid, get a flourocarbon leader( especially for Bream). A good Bream leader is probably 8-10 full turns of the reel.But again, it's just what's worked for me.... Cheers to those for the knot sites too :):)