A mate of mine was fishing from Granite Island a number of years ago when unexpectedly he watched in horror as a yacht got into difficulty, it was really windy with rough seas and the yacht capsized. In disbelief he saw the two sailors, a husband and wife fall over board and they were in real trouble. My mate was fishing on his own, he peeled off his boots and dived in at great personal risk, he hauled back the lady to shore, by which time other people gather on shore as he went out to rescue the husband. He managed to bring the bloke in but unfortunately the husband died. Those on shore who witnessed the rescue by my mate notified authorities and spoke of my mates heroism in going out to rescue this couple. He was given a special award for his efforts at a ceremony some time later. However this silent hero mate of mine didn't tell me this story till I had known him for many years. Just goes to show you can be out fishing when the totally unexpected happens. Any of you guys got an unusual tale to tell? Regards Marko.

I grew up on the West Coast of the EP, i surf sailed water skied skin dived and fished most of my life there. so had a few run ins with sharks here and there.. Losing two mates to white pointers in a short time period put a downer on the water sports for a while. but there is one mate id surf any beach with.. this is Bellsa's story..i happened to be learning to surf on an old Vietnam era Step tail single fin board one day at a local beach 15km from my home town when i snapped off the fin.. and was unable to continue. Bellsa paddled in and offered me one of his boards from the back of his Troopy. i then went out and had the best session of my life. Bellsa then helped me out even more so by selling me the sweet little 6'4" Aloha Thruster i had borrowed for a princely sum of $50. Then proceed to teach me how to set the new fin and fibre glass it all back together again on my old board. nothing out standing so far..one day when surfing that same beach i was visited by a bronzie at about 7' so paddled in to the shore for a break. Bellsa and a few of the other lads came down a half hour later and asked about why i was on shore as they could see they waves where of good quality and well with in my limits. i told them about the shark. they analysed the surf and decided 8 pairs of legs in the water was better than 1 pair.. so we paddled out again. now comes the inspirational part..Bellsa and one of his mates where both surfing that break on another occaison. Bellsaz happened to be on shore at the time when he looked out and noticed his mate in the water in trouble. a large bronzie had taken a couple of bites of his thigh/chest and board. the board being between him and the shark we think was all that saved him. Bells ran straight back into that water paddled out the 100meteres or so and then dragged him to shore. raced him to hospital and saved his life. no thoughts of that shark what so ever. it was his mate in trouble and he did the only thing he could think of. SAVE HIM!the shark snapped a few teeth off in the board and from this day from what i can remember. that board is wall mounted with the shark bite prominently on display. when i left that township.. i left my 6'4 aloha, my 6'2 aloha, my 7'1 step tail and my 9'6 Kobi Malibu with Bellsa.. knowing if i ever went back.. id always be able to go for a surf with one of the best blokes in town. to this day.. he still surfs those same breaks.. i hope one day to join him on a wave once again..

Thanks Del, that was a great story, I guess what comes through in these stories of heroism is that it is not the hairy chested macho man that ends up being the hero but often the quiet, unremarkable guy who without thinking of his own well being does what he can to help a mate in need or for that matter a stranger. Man alive it restores your hope in humanity when you hear about those outstanding acts of bravery or kindness. Cheers Marko.

funny thing.. years and years earlier with a visit of the FAILIE, my sisters vintage costume hat blew off.. and it was him who dived in from the end of the jetty saved her hat swam it to the shore..my sister sailed with his father many years later. all events pretty unconnected.. yet some how.. connected!