Black Pole

Guest administrator

is it just me that thinks this pole should also have a light on it i can think of at least 3 nights ive been sitting out there watching my burley trail and watched someone nearly hit he thing at full noise and be none the wiser..and yea yea i know when its dark ya slow down and yadayadayada but even going slow its gonna bloody hurt :pinch: :pinch:

In my view all navigational markers should be lit. Have you ever tried to negotiate Barker Inlet Channel and that dog leg on a new moon? :ohmy: Having said this, we all know how the game is played and how to navigate at night. We all have very effective electronics at our disposal, and I wouldn't travel at night without a handheld spotlight to assist when required.

its not an issue for me either as when i know im heading out i hit chart plot to guide me back, so unless i hit it on the way out (always possible) i wont be hitting it on the way back in :lol: but there are some newer to boating we'll say that either dont have this function, and even with the spot light its bloody hard to see, eg have a go at this go out at night get in the general area of the pole turn of ya sounder and try find the pole (bastard or black) its not easy..

Not the light. The entire top of the pole and the platform is white. Why dont they call it the white pole?Oh, and for the record the light itself flashes at 1 second intervals and the black pole is also the one which contains the wind instruments, and is the site for the Outer Harbour weather observations.black_pole.jpg