Cockle Alternative

Went chasing KG's a couple of weeks ago, bought a kilo of green peeled frozen prawn tails (Chinese import) from Woolies for 29 bucks, worked a treat, twice as many baits as the cost equivalent of cockles & more robust on the hook. Added bonus if you don't catch any fish you can bung the bait on a skewer for some prawn shazlicks. I have in the past seen imported prawn tail meat a lot cheaper than that, so I'll be keeping my eyes open and stock pile when they're about.

Good post spog1, useful info for those who are hating the price of cockles. Imported prawn meat is going to just go up in price unfortunately, as recently much tighter restrictions were placed on imported seafood, due to what they said was quality. Ya cant help but wonder though if it is just another example of the power weilding local seafood industry trying to force out cheaper imports. Bloodworm run is coming up soon too mate, better grab some of those too hey. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience of getting worms the last 4 years, you can't pin point the run to an exact night. It can vary year to year, but usually starts 3-4 days after the new moon in July, and can last for 3-4 days, and yes on a run out tide. Also another run in August. We did better in August last year, but it varies year to year. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

Guest 18livebait

i heard that some of the praws coming into the contry where living in poo pools in vietnam i think they must be a little ones on pizza a special fried rice. Good on them for banning them!!!