Wooden Alvey Reel

Scored a blast from the past today-an old wooden alvey reel. Poor things that dinged up that im gonna have to give it a quick clean to see if its a brown cedar or red cedar model. All the metal parts are so green i could use em as luderick bait :sick: Cant believe the poor thing was in such a state. Bought a 500 fibreglass model at a sale for $5 and the bloke threw the oldy in. Going to start stripping it down and see whats saveable as ive decided to bring it back to life. Before i get started i'll take a pic and let everyone know how the jobs going. Hopefully i can restore it fully (wont even turn at the moment lol) and was thinking of looking for an old alvey rod to do up so i can retire them to the wall.

Well reels all working and finished a- big thanks to B@K who sent me some woodworking books that proved totally handy when it came to explaining how to handle the wood and treat it for preservation etc.Finished product is in pic attached-cant believe the old girl was bo bashed about, green, siezed up and now she looks a treat-hell even got the ratchet working perfectly so shes heading into retirement on the wall.

IMGP0012.JPG