Biggest Kingfish

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

howdy ben ive seen them twice and hooked them each time they came to my garfish berley i know a couple of people who fish around my area and they have never seen any the one i caught was at 4am it was splashing at the back of the boat so i put out a weightles pilchard thinking it was a big snook to my suprise it was a king i dont think its very common for them to be around

yeah down of hughes one morning, and then again off turton.We'd seen them there in previous years but couldn't manage to get them to bite, then we figured a way to stir em up, hey presto!We hung a live mackeral of about 20cm on the surface of the water directly down under the jetty. The livey was too big to swallow but all the splashing had them zoning in from everywhere. Then basically try and keep the lure away from them was the trick, always want what they can't have! hahaunfortunately we also attracted the rest of the jetty to see what all the fuss twas about too! :cry:

wicked idea mate. another method is to try live gar chuck it out to em and rip it right past em too fast to hit. do that three or four times and then slowly retrieve it and bang. ps never tryed, but been told its worked for a few of my mates. i like your idea better though. good stuff. {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif

G"day guys, well by no means a monster but a good fight on medium surf gear from the rocks on YP.This one was around 70/ 75 cms .Got three that day and lost one unstoppable, They were making gar shower as they chased them, would of done anything for a popper that arvo as it was the perfect scenario for itCheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif .Posted Image

Although we still haven't tried the tampon and ink method yet, we got the info from a pretty awesome fisho who'd had success that way before.When we were up at PA we tried like hell burleying up as many pencil gar and tommies to the back of the boat just trying to get something started.I've caught mullies in the port using a rig designed for spinning big garfish, the ones bought from the fish markets.Reckon if we combined the two ideas we'd have a real winner srick {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Yeah Butters, it was awesome and just one of those things of being in the right place at the right time I guess.I have a theory on them from my limited experience that with jetties and the like they tend to congretate around them sort of like an FAD.Not necessarily actively feeding but just hanging around and can be hard to get to bite.But with a spot like where I got those, off the rocks , with drop offs ect they were there for the purpose of hunting and on the move, none of this milling around,there were pods of 40 to 50 gar showering out the water as they were smashing them.And the rule book can get thrown out the window with them as well, I know a guy that was livebaiting for mullies at 2 am off Ardrossan jetty with small live squid when he hooked what was first thought a big mully.After a ball breaking battle the result was a 32lb King, true story :shock:

you just never know what is gonna turn up sometimes..that is the best thing about fishing :lol: 32lb king from the jetty... that is an impressive capture for sure.. to land the fish you gotta get it back into the danger zone..

only caught one fish, it was actually the first night i'd tried this method (my old man used to fish this way with poddies and gar off the T.I bridge)was 16 at the time so no photo, but she measured just on 72cm, my first mully after over a year of spending every weeked at the J bridge. Was stoked! Basically the rig was a 3 hook combo. A 1/0 hook through the beak of the gar, and spaced out evenly over the back of the gar were a 3/0 facing each side. The trace was over a metre long and halfway down the trace was a crimped bean or barrel sinker. If the sinker was too close to the fish the action wasn't effective i was told. When the sinker was back about 50cm or so, the action of the gar wasn't as bouncy, but more controlled. I got the fish on 4kg line and old presidant O/H

Sounds like a god technique there Ben,I have caught them using unweighted Frogmouth with a slow sink and drop before, and also fresh gar fillets using the same slow retrieve.Long time between drinks for me with the Mullies though, just dont have the time and perserverance.When I did used to chase them, would be on the water every Friday night, sometimes more often,putting in lots of hours and getting in tune with the patterns, tides, moons, bait activity and so on.Results came with this, but I have found that now I just head down for a couple of hours here and there, basically no results and felt out of touch.But if its bigger fish , live bait seems to get better results.And when it comes to livebaits my preference in order is as follows, Gar, Mullet, Salmon Trout, and last but not least shitties.Some people put Shitties top of the list but for mine, live Gar are worth the effort even if it can be a bit of work obtaining them.Oh Srick, yeah have been back a couple of times, no Kingies but did get some Snook and Salmon trout, Squid at different times , but those Kings were in March, and that seems to be when the Gar school up there in the numbers, and unfortunately havent had a chance to get there then since.Feb March this year will be worth a crack.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Oh forgot to mention, top forum you have got going here boys CoolWe can talk fishing the way it should be talked about, and everyone seems on the same level, great work to all involved.Cheers Cool

Lets keep it cool too. I never want to see Spot X written on this forum. If you don't want to reveal your spot don't. But don't write spot X it makes you look like a know all who's not prepared to share information with you fellow fishing buddies. We have anglers of all different levels already. We are all even. The novices learn from the more experienced. I love it. People like Srick, addict, smiley, cal, bennyboy and butters have made this site cool in my eyes. keep it coming and keep it helpful and friendly. I went on another forum the other day and it was full of tools and bickering about how good their stupid spot x was. I'd rather 35 good mates on this forum than 2500000 f wits with big egos.You all rock. lets keep it real.over and out.