Paying for a Rescue

Yeah, I think these guys do it out of the goodness of their hearts, bloody tough job if you want my opinion. Perfect example of unsung heroes :)I (touch wood) have never needed them, but they are a bloody well trained professional outfit and am very glad to know if the shit hit the fan and the epirb goes PING, these guys from the volunteer coast guard would be first on scene.Although they must really shake their heads at some of the clowns they drag back in :blush: Big thanks to the rescue guys. The coast guard, SES and the coppers... Cheers fellas, hope I never need to have you pull me aboard B)

VMR's (Volunteer Marine Rescue)are able to receive a certain amount of Govt funding but they need a lot more to barely survive ( I'm a member of Sea Rescue).The upkepp of equipment is hugely expensive.If ya have a few $$'s in ya pocket - give it to them!I know some fairly fancy craft get towed back in and they don't drop a $. Now that makes me mad.So yep - it's "free" - but anyone that treats the VMR's as free is pretty low........Sorry - something I feel really strong about!

VMR's (Volunteer Marine Rescue)are able to receive a certain amount of Govt funding but they need a lot more to barely survive ( I'm a member of Sea Rescue).The upkepp of equipment is hugely expensive.If ya have a few $$'s in ya pocket - give it to them!So yep - it's "free" - but anyone that treats the VMR's as free is pretty low........Sorry - something I feel really strong about!

I thought that would be the case Tyke, Thanks for confirming it :) .Personally I'd be more than happy to make a donation, and good on them too :)B) With the xmas holidays just starting it might bea timeley reminder too ;)

Most rescue Services In South Australia are a free service to those needed... Please Note thats rescue, not treatment.South australia is the only State Working under the emergency Services levvy which *covers* these organisations, however, that being said, Funds are quickly absorbed through administration, training, running of units and brigades from vehicle registration to fuel and basic hygiene cleaning products etc. So as you can imagine its a fairly tight. I'm a Unit Manager of A SES unit and each year budgets keep getting cut so it gets tougher and tougher so donations are always welcome.Even if you don't have any cash on you at the time, maybe a carton of beer for the lads for an end of year "break up" is always welcome :D

I would love to see a "RAA" type membership to make me feel a lot more comfortablewhen venturing out to sea. (my small boat is out of action at the moment, but have always thought of this when taking it out of the O/H channel :laugh: :laugh: )I find it hard to find anyone would not offer any sort of gratitude for a rescue of any type ???are you blokes fair dinkum on these type of comments ???

I would love to see a "RAA" type membership to make me feel a lot more comfortablewhen venturing out to sea. (my small boat is out of action at the moment' date=' but have always thought of this when taking it out of the O/H channel :laugh: :laugh: )I find it hard to find anyone would not offer any sort of gratitude for a rescue of any type ???are you blokes fair dinkum on these type of comments ???[/quote']Yep - makes me wary of helping anyone out in a way - a thanks or offer for the cost in extra fuel would be appreciated.If I ever need to get help - I'll be offering cost of fuel + a carton!

most people behave as thought the smaller scale rescues as their given right, which it is as they pay their emergency services levvy, which is something i hear regularly when we dont get there within what they believe an adequate time frame. I gently remind them that as a volunteer i am not exempt from said Levy and they generally just let us get on with the job... others certainly do get on their high horse but then you do get the few who are grateful, and although thats not why we do it, it certainly makes it much more enjoyable.As stated above, some attitudes are pretty low with the expectation of us jumping when they demand (once got a call from the public at 2am after being bogged at pt gawler to bring them out hot milo and some pies....) but you know what youre doing is making a difference and choosing to volunteer was the best decision of my life. to me it is my job.(the carton donations certainly help as the budgets do not allow for "entertainment" as it is tax payers money) or if you do offer the donation just state its for "entertainment purposes" :D