The great Christmas Ice rip off

I hear what you're saying Mark,selfishly for me though, it has given us a day off,Dub's get to celebrate his birthday & well he did.Used to do the grind Xmas day away from family & friends & for the most part just to serve ice, nearly a pallet in '05 & '06now next to the servo with a pallet on the driveway, well,at least y'all can access some, slushy as it may be& I get a day with the kids.Finatic

I have to admit, I've seen this many times, and have never given it a thought.I understand what you are saying under the correct weights and measures legislation, but I think with the huge demand over the xmas period, I'd rather purchase ice which has been sitting outside on a pallet and may have begun defrosting (in fact I have purchased this way), than to find out there is no ice available at all because it wouldn't fit into the freezers.I guess much the same could be said about wheat during harvest. That which doesn't fit into already fully stocked silos gets mounded nearby and covered with tarps. Hardly perfect storage conditions, but it fits the need during times of demand, and we make allowances based on need.

Ranger grain is stored on the ground covered in tarps with a covered base and is processed before it is eaten, where as the ice is left in the open for any dog to urinate on it. what realy got up my nose was when I asked for a bag out of the freezer I was told it was company policy to sell the ice stacked in 34 degree heat first!!!! A servo not far away had hired a portable deep freeze, surely this is best practice, They have my custom from now on.Kym good to see you had one day off at least we owned and ran a deli for 4 years our only time off was Christmas day and Good Friday

I used to work in a servo that sold ice this way on christmas day, and from experience most people don't care too much if its a little melted, just happy that they can actually get ice. The bags in the middle actually keep fairly well.Its only towards the end of the day when there aren't many left and they've been there all day that the bags are severely melted and this is when customers start complaining, and rightly so. I used to let customers have what I thought was equal to one bag worth of ice and keep the actual bag for credits from the ice company.If they were forced to hire a freezer just for the day, I reckon most places simply wouldn't bother, not worth the cost/benefit, and you would simply have no ice for chrissy. and do you seriously think there are that many freezers for hire in SA?So just get your ice early from the middle of the stack or find a place that has them in a freezer.Keep your cool man, it's Christmas :D

I'm kinda surprised the servo's don't clean out the frozen pizzas and pizza rolls for a day... god only knows they wouldn't be selling any with all the food flying around christmas day. With all the spare room they could fit a heap of ice in.The flip side...Dropping a pallet outside = no labour/ maximum profitClearing shelves and man handling ice all day long to re-stock depleting shelves = minimal profit and lost manhours!It's pretty clear why they do what they do. Most places I have ever come accross tell you to grab 2-3 bags if they're half defrosted. Most times I have come out on top !!

exactly jags, most places will be fairly reasonable, if not, just take your money elsewhere :)the inside freezer thing is a good idea and some places do it, but again most places will have only one person on and with it being so busy its nearly impossible to keep up. and then its one more thing to try and keep stocked up between the constant flow of customers.but please don't have a go at the poor fella behind the counter, after all he's stuck there selling cream, ice and gas bottle refills all day while you are enjoying your christmas day. this same thing happens on new years eve.

Question...Why do bags of ice have a "Use By" or "Best Before" date on them? After all, they're just bloody lumps of frozen water aren't they?Just wondering...archerfish:unsure: P.S. Still reckon block ice is the way to go for a lot of applications. If I remember correctly, some of the icemakers used to add salt to the blocks to obtain a lower freezing point. If any S&Hers can enlighten me on this topic before I disappear in a Google frenzy, I would be most grateful! :)