Anyone know what this is?

Hi all, I was looking around on Nearmaps and was zooming in around the St Kilda/Pt gawler area and saw this all over the water surface. I've never fished out north and have only ever launched out from O'sullies near home. I was thinking of heading up that way and maybe try out near the Goanna's so wondered what everything looks like on nearmaps.Anyone know what this would be??....... Algae maybe? I know when some fish spawn it floats on the surface but I'd assume its more likely a growth of some sort. I've never seen anything like before.Cheers[attachment]C:\Documents and Settings\alex.butler\Desktop\Alex\algae1.bmp[/attachment][attachment]C:\Documents and Settings\alex.butler\Desktop\Alex\algae2.bmp[/attachment][attachment]C:\Documents and Settings\alex.butler\Desktop\Alex\alge3.bmp[/attachment]

If you go to a metro beach atm you will see a couple of different types of weed washed up on the beach,One looks like a small mangrove pods and the other is a pinkish and about the size of Jacaranda leaves.I'm no Biologist but i think this is similar to when autumn arrives and all the trees drop their leaves or after spring all the flowers fall off and gather on your lawn.The same thing occurs under the sea and with the thousands of hectares of seaweed growing on the seabed this what your seeing as the result. cheers brenton

Wouldn't want to run through that with the prop!

I sometimes lose my speedo through weed build up, although the gps still provides my true speed, and a quick burst in reverse can clear the weed and rectify the problem.I've never had a problem with weed preventing water ingress and overheating my motor though......touch wood!