Hi all, I have decided that this weekend I will try for Snapper and I was wondering what bait people have found to be the most conducive to bites?I have a baby octopus I caught the other week at the ready as I have heard they are rather partial to it, is this true? Any suggestions welcome. This will be my first Snapper endeavour, which is probably silly to try by myself (most likely I will end up in the drink). All in good fun.

im no snapper expert but are you fishing land based or off a boat ? the more info you give the more accurate replies to that style of fishing you will get.if your doing it landbased will it be off a jetty . rocks or beach? i generally use squid for targeting snapps , but on boats fish work better most times ive tried.dont know if id try baby occy land based , the occy lures seem to work on boats.

Apparently the jetty goes 869 metres out into the water with the waer being on average 10 meters deep' date=' depending on high/low tides.[/quote']Being a pretty ordinary sorta fisherman myself, I wont even try to give you tips which will put you into the same "fishless and hungry" category as myself!I am pleased to see you have been doing your homework though, coz that is the sorta stuff which will put the picture together to produce results for you!GOOD HUNTING! :)

LOL why thankyou. I do like to do my research ;)

"fishless and hungry"[/b] category as myself!

I suppose now is as good a time as any to reveal I don't eat seafood...I can't stand the stuff in pretty much any way shape or form. I have plenty of people however who are more than happy to eat that which I wrinkle my nose in disdain at, so I shan't find myself hungry even if I don't catch anything. I am a great paradox of a person really. call it passive-aggressivity- by day I'm a Animal carer and in my spare time I widow and orphan our piscatorial friends...:laugh:

hey mate the snapper love the occy off that jetty, you want to get down past about half way or further so you need no ship in, bait up then toss you occy back under the jetty (or at worst chuck it straight down), look out for the pylons and the chains and hold on ;) Hopefully the trumpeters don't instantly home in on your bait and destroy it, at least being tough it will last a little while, hopefully long enough for you to catch your first snapper.good luck

I'm glad to hear that. I have seen the technique of flicking the line back so it's in the shadow of the jetty. I went fishing there just over a year ago with a guy who thought he had a shot at me (to put it bluntly), and one of the locals down there was showing him what to do (to get snapper, just to clarify) so I've got a fair idea. He was a fairly slightly built fellow and I recall thinking what would he do if he got an angry snapper on the end of the line. I have experienced the wrath of the trumpeter...don't get me started.What are they good for? In fact...Apart from them being called "shi**ies" I don't know a great deal about them except that they like dough. or pretty much anything else. Is there a size, bag limit or anything for them and does anything like eating them (other than cats)?

snapper only eat them if they are really on or if there is nothing else, if you've got something else for bait use it, seriously, I have yet to see trumpeter "outfish" any other bait, not saying it wont work but..... well you see my point.You can eat them, problem is processing them is really time consuming, you really need to fillet them, cut out the gut cavity skin them and then mince them for fish cakes due to the bones which leaves you with very little meat per fish, the good news is there is no size or bag limit and they actually taste alright if you could be bothered going to all that trouble.