Recreational Fishing licence for SA

Guest dabilda

Guest dabilda

G'day all,I have asked this on another site and thought I would get it going here again......... some new names, for some others time to think more about it and hopefully some other opinions to be put forward.There are many points for and against the implication of a licence to fish, but personally I think the points for far outweigh the points against.At this point in time I'd like to see/read other views and will post my thoughts in 24 hours. There are a number of things that have happened recently or are in the process of happening that I believe a fishing licence would provide a "paid" voice that might be heard and hence protect our sport and fishery.I look forward to your thoughts. (Please keep this topic as a discussion and not let it turn into a slanging match) respect other memers opinions as "their" opinions.

Guest dabilda

I must add at this point................ the ONLY way I would accept the introduction of a Recreational fishing Licence would be under 1 condition. All monies (100%) are put into Recreational fishing and related areas. I would NOT accept this as "yet another tax" whereby we only get 10% or less of what we actually pay.No GST, No excise, No Levies............. this would be "Recreational Fishermen" creating a fund and a body that works soley for "Recreational Fishermen".

i would be more than happy to pay up for a fishing license as long as 100% of it goes to a state fishing body. That said, do we have a rec-fishing body representing us? I have been an avid fisher for most of my years, and i still dont know if we have one.It may weed out some bad eggs that sit on jetties/wharves/beaches and sometimes even boats all over the state, catching and keeping anything and everything size/bag limit regardless. It may even pay for a few more inspectors, to police rules and laws that are very casually approached by most, and i do mean size limits and reintroduction of caught imported/exotic species.

Having to pay another license fee is another freedom taken away from you. I have no idea how much it would cost to buy back individual fishing licenses, I doubt if a fishing license fee would cover it, even over many years, stocking rivers and waterways with baby fish would be costly as well, boat ramps are covered by ramp fees so that should not incur another impost.More fishing inspectors around the coast would swallow up the majority of income from license fees, especially when they are give 4 wheel drives and top of the range boats to carry out their duties.I would decide which way I would vote when I knew how the extra income was going to be put to the best advantage[/color:2v7l5ypy]

Guest dabilda

Having to pay another license fee is another freedom taken away from you. I have no idea how much it would cost to buy back individual fishing licenses, I doubt if a fishing license fee would cover it, even over many years, stocking rivers and waterways with baby fish would be costly as well, boat ramps are covered by ramp fees so that should not incur another impost.More fishing inspectors around the coast would swallow up the majority of income from license fees, especially when they are give 4 wheel drives and top of the range boats to carry out their duties.I would decide which way I would vote when I knew how the extra income was going to be put to the best advantage[/color:6regu0od]

Just for a bit of info about what licence fees could do have a look at this link.http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenfaq.n ... 63001A3059As for boat ramps, boating facilities etc.............. this should be covered by the fees already paid by us boaties. A Recreational Fishing Licence should only provide for "Recreational Fishing" for all of the approx 350,000 rec fishers in SA

I would pay a fee to provide further for the rec angler no probs.but answer me these questions first.1 What portion of money taken from the commercial catch is put back into rec fishing or is it only put back into the commercial sector? or the study and managment thereof.?I ask this because of the following which i saw on the PIRSA website."South Australia also has a strong, viable commercial fishing industry. In 2005?06 the State?s commercial wild fisheries were worth A$193.5 million.2 "Whom would you say the fish in the sea belong to if there in our state waters? the commercial fishers, the goverment, you, me,who?Cheers Ian {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Statement from the SARFAC(South Australian Recreational Fishing Advisory Council) site.[i:1c3g0hho]? Recreational fishing is one of South Australia?s largest industries contributing around one million dollars every day of the year to our states economy."[/i:1c3g0hho]Not being an economist or accountant, one million dollars a day makes one hundred thousand dollars a day in GST to the Government. I am sure the Governement is not spending even a small proportion of that back on recreational fishing.I would like to definitely know where any licence fees would be spent on above what recreational fishing should be getting now from GST paid by recreational fisho's.End of the day though, if I got to have a licence to fish, the visa card will be out in a sec!

Guest dabilda

do we have a rec-fishing body representing us?

SARFAChttp://www.sarfac.com/index.htm?/main.htm
Agreed Alanh, we do have SARFACBut........... do they have the financial backing of approx 350,000 rec anglers paying $20 for a licence to support their passion? $7,000,000 per annum makes a huge difference.Where was SARFAC when the Torrens Gorge was closed to rec fishing?What are SARFAC doing about the (proposed) desalination plants pumping millions of litres of salt into the gulfs? Hence killing many living creatures.Do SARFAC have a re-stocking program in place?Do SARFAC have access to funds to make access possible and easier for landbased fisho's to get to their favourite fishing spots?I'm not knocking SARFAC at all......... my point is, without funding what can ever happen?
Guest dabilda

Yep, thats a good looking site.I noticed the the most recent upto date article was in 2003nowonder people take a lot of notice of them[/color:2u4az9tx]

Dunno what your pc is taking you to {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif. The link I provided takes you to a page titled "Your Licence Fees at Work 2006-07". There are links on the left of the page that take you to previous years.

Most have heard my views on this subject before! I'm firmly against the idea!I believe it is simply another tax, and I've written volumes on this!We were guaranteed by this government that with the introduction of the GST, all goods and services we use would be taxed, under a "user pays" system, and this would replace ALL other taxes, so let's not suggest a "user pays" license isn't just another tax.Let's face it, we pay tax and excises on our car and boat fuel and oil. We pay ramp fees. We pay GST on our tackle. We pay GST on our bait. We pay a "Save the murray levy". We pay registration fees for car, boat and trailer. We pay GST on boat repairs and servicing. We are one of the highest taxed countries in the world at the moment, and I believe a licence is simply another tax and nothing more. A tax we were told we no longer need since the introduction of a GST. We have no guarantees that the funds raised would go back into rec fishing, coz no-one has said how this money would be spent, and even if it did, it's a shared resource, so we pay to improve the situation, and the pro's rub their hands together and take more from the resource we're trying to save.I do not believe it would give us a stronger voice, as the pro industry will always generate more income than the rec sector, hence they will always have a stronger voice.We DO have representation at the moment, but the problem is rec fishers are such an apathetic and disorganised rabble, who cant even agree amongst ourselves what is best for us, and we never take notice of any problem, coz we always think someone else will take care of it. Once we can learn to unite, and stand up to voice our opinions, instead of sitting on our backsides expecting someone else to do it for us, our voice might start to be heard. 2 or 3 people standing saying they are representing all rec anglers cant acheive diddly-squat, no matter how hard they try.We have far better facilities here in SA than many of our interstate counterparts who DO pay licenses, and if you'd care to visit a few interstate fishing websites, you'll quickly see just how disgruntled some of these fishers are, with lengthy delays and queues at substandard ramps and facilities. Ramps which need to be dredged just so that they can launch/retreive, no floating pontoons, no multi-lanes, no fish measuring stations, etc, etc.I do not believe we should be ASKING for another fee, when people are struggling with rising interest rates, record housing costs, record rental rates, record fuel and food prices, and riding on the back of a drought and severe water shortage. We currently have bigger fish to fry.

I would decide which way I would vote when I knew how the extra income was going to be put to the best advantage
A very wise man!Let's not speculate such things as "the ONLY way I would accept the introduction of a Recreational fishing Licence would be under 1 condition. All monies (100%) are put into Recreational fishing and related areas."No-one in power has EVER said this would be the case, so let's get that guarantee FIRST, and then another guarantee that pros wont be taking from the resource WE fund, but instead that pros will also be putting INTO this fund, as it's a shared resource, THEN let's have a vote or a poll on it!Lastly, be careful what you wish for, coz you mught just get it, and get it with NO GUARANTEES as to how that money will be spent! Once it's paid, THEY make the decisions on what to do with it! Would you still believe the benefits outweight the cons then, or would you agree that it's just another tax?

If All the revenue generated goes back into rec side of the resource then I say yes.The only other thing that bothers me is, as a boaty I will have to ensure that all my passengers are licensed novice or otherwise! I would like to see a special boat registration category introduced, i.e. "Fishing Vessel {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

Guest dabilda
Let's face it, we pay tax and excises on our car and boat fuel and oil. We pay ramp fees. We pay GST on our tackle. We pay GST on our bait. We pay a "Save the murray levy". We pay registration fees for car, boat and trailer. We pay GST on boat repairs and servicing. We are one of the highest taxed countries in the world at the moment, and I believe a licence is simply another tax and nothing more. A tax we were told we no longer need since the introduction of a GST.
Very valid points Ranger and I wholeheartedly agree. But.......... as much as we ALL pay these taxes, have we EVER had a say in what the money is used for? Are the funds EVER accounted for cent by cent to US the taxpayer?Isn't it time "WE" the taxpayer stood up and said "enough is enough", I pay $xxx and I want money spent "HERE"?Which is why I say I am all for a licence under the 1 condition............ All monies raised (100%) goes to Recreational Fishing in areas that all 350,000 licencees see a return for THEIR money.As far as levies, fees, GST, PAYG, registrations etc goes........... I personally can't change that. As much as it pisses me off that the very day the GST was introduced I was automatically employed as an unpaid tax collector. More of my VALUABLE and LIMITED time spent doing the gov'ts job. I fully understand where you are coming from.It is time the public stood up and made a difference. If we as "rec fisho's" can band together with approx 7ml per annum and tell the gov't where to shove it, maybe that difference might start to eventuate and maybe, just maybe the PUBLIC voice might start to be heard.Again, and I'm 100% firm on this........... I would NOT accept a Rec Fishing Licence unless 100% of monies raised went to Rec Fishing and related areas all decided by the percentage of Rec Fishers that chose to use their voice.
Guest dabilda

If All the revenue generated goes back into rec side of the resource then I say yes.The only other thing that bothers me is, as a boaty I will have to ensure that all my passengers are licensed novice or otherwise! I would like to see a special boat registration category introduced, i.e. "Fishing Vessel < 6 m" " 6.1 - 10" etc. and have the rec fishing license built into the registration cost & therefore all those onboard are covered.[/size:1aq7s8q8] Would save a lot of hassle if you got a surprise visit from a relly or old buddy and decided on the spur of the moment to go for a fish to show off your boat & angling prowess. Even though I normally get outfished by the novices & my prowess only really extends to anchor pulling. {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

Can't agree Spog. that would suggest us boaties pay our own licence and ontop of that another fee to cover any passengers we may or may not have.My rego now is $72 approx, add my licence would be $92.............. are you suggesting I should pay $112 or more just incase I take out an unlicenced passenger?Sorry, but NO!.......... If you want to fish you pay your way and contribute to the fishery you are taking from.

Yep, thats a good looking site.I noticed the the most recent upto date article was in 2003nowonder people take a lot of notice of them[/color:3ktulb0z]

Dunno what your pc is taking you to {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif. The link I provided takes you to a page titled "Your Licence Fees at Work 2006-07". There are links on the left of the page that take you to previous years.
OK I will have another look, maybe I will use my specs this time[/color:3ktulb0z]

have we EVER had a say in what the money is used for? Are the funds EVER accounted for cent by cent to US the taxpayer?

Nope, and that's a reason why I believe a rec fishing license wouldn't be any different! They'll take the money, and then THEY'll decide what they wanna do with it, and if we aint happy.........TOUGH!

Isn't it time "WE" the taxpayer stood up and said "enough is enough", I pay $xxx and I want money spent "HERE"?

Yep, we're already paying $xxx, but we aren't uniting to voice our opinions, coz as a whole we are far too apathetic!

As far as levies, fees, GST, PAYG, registrations etc goes........... I personally can't change that.

Then how about we dump the levies, fees, GST, PAYG, excises, duties, etc, and THEN I'll agree to pay this fishing license which the GST was promised to replace! ;)I really need an answer as to how much the pro sector is gonna also contribute to this shared resource of ours, or what's gonna be stopping the pro sector from taking from this resource us recs are paying for! Or are we gonna pay to rejuvenate areas they can then go run their nets through, or restock fish they can then go and net for a profit? Maybe we'll pay for improved ramps and facilities, so they've got somewhere nice to launch their boats or bring their catch? Why dont we just give the money directly to them, and cut out the middleman? :P
Guest dabilda

Isn't it time "WE" the taxpayer stood up and said "enough is enough", I pay $xxx and I want money spent "HERE"?

Yep, we're already paying $xxx, but we aren't uniting to voice our opinions, coz as a whole we are far too apathetic!
And your suggestion of a way to unite us approx 350,000 rec fishermen is?????Or are you just going to remain "apathetic" and suggest nothing. Hence achieving "nothing"Come on ranger, I know you're better than that. I know for a fact you voice your opinion to all the powers that be on a range of topics that I also know you have personally researched very well.What is your suggestion as to how we get 350,000 rec fishermen to speak as 1 and actually be heard and make a difference?
Guest dabilda

have we EVER had a say in what the money is used for? Are the funds EVER accounted for cent by cent to US the taxpayer?

Nope, and that's a reason why I believe a rec fishing license wouldn't be any different! They'll take the money, and then THEY'll decide what they wanna do with it, and if we aint happy.........TOUGH!
Which is exactly why I say

Again, and I'm 100% firm on this........... I would NOT accept a Rec Fishing Licence unless 100% of monies raised went to Rec Fishing and related areas all decided by the percentage of Rec Fishers that chose to use their voice.

Guest dabilda

I really need an answer as to how much the pro sector is gonna also contribute to this shared resource of ours, or what's gonna be stopping the pro sector from taking from this resource us recs are paying for! Or are we gonna pay to rejuvenate areas they can then go run their nets through, or restock fish they can then go and net for a profit? Maybe we'll pay for improved ramps and facilities, so they've got somewhere nice to launch their boats or bring their catch? Why dont we just give the money directly to them, and cut out the middleman? :P

Monies raised by REC FISHERS would be used to provide and fight issues pertaining to REC FISHERS. A licence buy back scheme from pro's, buy back and totally get rid of all netting licences, fight for comercial quotas to be introduced that REALISTICALLY create a SUSTAINABLE fishery for ALL. To do those things requires the employment of Lawyers, Barristers, possibly QC's etc and court fees........... without funding, how does it ever happen?Oh! The federal gov't in the latest budget announced a 2ml fund to be paid over 3 yrs for recreational Fishing........... hmmmmmmmmmm............ divided by 6 states & 2 territorys makes SA's share approx 83,333 per year for 3 years.Should we all now go and piss in the ocean to watch the water level rise??? That is a pathetic waste of time.

Which is exactly why I say

Again, and I'm 100% firm on this........... I would NOT accept a Rec Fishing Licence unless 100% of monies raised went to Rec Fishing and related areas all decided by the percentage of Rec Fishers that chose to use their voice.

And I have to ask, how can you NOT accept it?Once it's introduced, and you discover it maybe isn't being directed 100% to rec areas as you expected, are you gonna stand up and say "sorry, I don't accept that, so I'm not gonna pay it anymore?" and do ya think they'll all listen to ya now, because you pay $20 per year for a fishing license?
Guest dabilda

And I have to ask, how can you NOT accept it?Once it's introduced, and you discover it maybe isn't being directed 100% to rec areas as you expected, are you gonna stand up and say "sorry, I don't accept that, so I'm not gonna pay it anymore?" and do ya think they'll all listen to ya now, because you pay $20 per year for a fishing license?

I simply wouldn't accept it's introduction. I lived in Vic when all this was introduced then (early 90's it started). Maybe you can remember the Rex Hunt Fishing shows in it's early days when much of his talk was about this exact issue, being a Victorian himself.It took about 4 yrs of protest using all forms of media to get what is there now........... and if you had seen and lived what was there prior to the introduction of the "All Waters" licence you would know where I am coming from. Vic ALWAYS had an inland waters licence in place prior to that. that licence saw absolutely NOTHING done.............. hence the change got what was needed because we all stood up and WERE heard.

I really need an answer as to how much the pro sector is gonna also contribute to this shared resource of ours, or what's gonna be stopping the pro sector from taking from this resource us recs are paying for! Or are we gonna pay to rejuvenate areas they can then go run their nets through, or restock fish they can then go and net for a profit? Maybe we'll pay for improved ramps and facilities, so they've got somewhere nice to launch their boats or bring their catch? Why dont we just give the money directly to them, and cut out the middleman? :P

Monies raised by REC FISHERS would be used to provide and fight issues pertaining to REC FISHERS. A licence buy back scheme from pro's, buy back and totally get rid of all netting licences, fight for comercial quotas to be introduced that REALISTICALLY create a SUSTAINABLE fishery for ALL. To do those things requires the employment of Lawyers, Barristers, possibly QC's etc and court fees........... without funding, how does it ever happen?Oh! The federal gov't in the latest budget announced a 2ml fund to be paid over 3 yrs for recreational Fishing........... hmmmmmmmmmm............ divided by 6 states & 2 territorys makes SA's share approx 83,333 per year for 3 years.
If you decide that you wanna buy back ALL netting licenses, to start with you're gonna have anarchy on ya hands, when Mrs Normal goes into the supermarket and finds fish and prawns is no longer ever gonna be on the shelves thanks to those blasted recreational fishermen, and why should WE as recreational fishermen have to pay if pro fishing practices aren't sustainable?That $2m, that wasn't to be paid for rec fishing, it was actually to fund a federal study over 3 years to simply decide what needs to be done. I disagreed with that, because it's a state matter, and needs differ from state to state.

I lived in Vic when all this was introduced then (early 90's it started). Maybe you can remember the Rex Hunt Fishing shows in it's early days when much of his talk was about this exact issue, being a Victorian himself.It took about 4 yrs of protest using all forms of media to get what is there now........... and if you had seen and lived what was there prior to the introduction of the "All Waters" licence you would know where I am coming from. Vic ALWAYS had an inland waters licence in place prior to that. that licence saw absolutely NOTHING done.............. hence the change got what was needed because we all stood up and WERE heard.

Yes, I remember Rex Hunt fighting for the cause of the recreational fishermen, and I also remember him throwing in the towel for good, and saying "recreational fishermen are too apathetic for their own good, and wont know what they've lost until it's too late!"Apparently, he wasn't happy that the rec license in Victoria had solved all the problems and given rec fishermen a voice!
Guest dabilda

If you decide that you wanna buy back ALL netting licenses, to start with you're gonna have anarchy on ya hands, when Mrs Normal goes into the supermarket and finds fish and prawns is no longer ever gonna be on the shelves thanks to those blasted recreational fishermen, and why should WE as recreational fishermen have to pay if pro fishing practices aren't sustainable?

All in a sustainable manner. To create a sustainable fishery for all.Netting licences........ yes, get rid of them all.............. Prawns are very different, can't catch them on a hook.
Guest dabilda

That $2m, that wasn't to be paid for rec fishing, it was actually to fund a federal study over 3 years to simply decide what needs to be done. I disagreed with that, because it's a state matter, and needs differ from state to state.

That 2m is pissing in the ocean. 83k per annum per state or territory is nothing. after paying for a person, secretary, office, power & equipment, car etc etc.............. it will be gone within a month. lets all go and blow bubbles under the Sema4 Jetty and try to raise the Titanic. It's bloody pathetic, not even worth thinking or talking about.
Guest dabilda

Yes, I remember Rex Hunt fighting for the cause of the recreational fishermen, and I also remember him throwing in the towel for good, and saying "recreational fishermen are too apathetic for their own good, and wont know what they've lost until it's too late!"Apparently, he wasn't happy that the rec license in Victoria had solved all the problems and given rec fishermen a voice!

And this brings me back to...........................

And your suggestion of a way to unite us approx 350,000 rec fishermen is?????Or are you just going to remain "apathetic" and suggest nothing. Hence achieving "nothing"Come on ranger, I know you're better than that. I know for a fact you voice your opinion to all the powers that be on a range of topics that I also know you have personally researched very well.What is your suggestion as to how we get 350,000 rec fishermen to speak as 1 and actually be heard and make a difference?

The way I see things is that it's commendable that you're showing concern and pushing for something you believe will institute change.Me, I don't believe it will change anything, but will merely be more we have to fork out for and then complain about.The problem as I see it is that there's 3 sides to this story:1) The pro's who can unite for a common cause. To get more fish and make more money. They have support too, coz people wanna eat fish without having to catch it!2) The greens who wanna see us all gone, but have little credibility due to their extreme standpoints!3) The recs who cant agree on what they want, who argue about what should be done, and then do nothing at all except go fishing as a hobby!I'm gonna cut the greens out of the equasion, coz I like to believe we as rec anglers are also greens, albeit not extreme, but we too wanna care for the environment.Even if we do end up paying a rec license fee, we aint never gonna generate the sorta money generated by the pro sector, so the pro sector will always have a stronger voice, hence the pro sector will always win out, and our little rec license will prove to be another little tax greatfully accepted, and well get little in return for it.

And your suggestion of a way to unite us approx 350,000 rec fishermen is??Or are you just going to remain "apathetic" and suggest nothing. Hence achieving "nothing"Come on ranger, I know you're better than that. I know for a fact you voice your opinion to all the powers that be on a range of topics that I also know you have personally researched very well.What is your suggestion as to how we get 350,000 rec fishermen to speak as 1 and actually be heard and make a difference?
I'm glad you asked!Me personally, I cant do diddly-squat! Instead, I'm like an annoying little bug with my constant phone calls, letters and emails, but a little bug they can easily flick aside and ignore, as they do.............OFTEN!I believe we HAD the perfect opportunity here, and we ignored it with our apathetic ways!About a year or so back (you may well remember) we had a representative from the "Fishing & Lifestyle Party" poked his head into SA, wanting to speak with rec anglers! He offered to come down here, talk with us, and attempt to unite us, to kick off a branch of the party here in SA, fighting for the rights of SA anglers!This was someone who actually wanted to listen to us, organise us, and fight on our behalf, without us having to buy licenses! All they wanted was our votes and our support!We didn't give them a kind welcome, we didn't wanna attend a meeting, we didn't wanna listen, we criticised, we sent them packing, and then we sit here whinging about how bad we've got it.Surely a political party fighting for the rights of rec fishermen had to be a good starting point. Someone in parliament, who knows how to play the political game! Someone who CAN voice our opinions, and someone who can push forward bills that WE wanna see instituted, coz he's got the votes of 350,000 rec fishermen backing him!As far as I'm concerned, that WAS our opportunity, and that coulda been a starting point for us, if we hadda listened and taken some positive action to institute change, and put our views forward to someone who does know a thing or two about politics.I was the same though! I'm not a big fan of these single issue parties, coz instead, my concerns lie more with rising interest rates, the state of the economy, education, hospital beds, etc, etc, that I feel one of the other parties have policies to cover.I have no answer on this one. Instead, I just keep voicing my opinions, doing what I believe is the right thing, making my phone calls, sending my emails, and talking to others to try to enlighten them on many issues I feel strongly about. I try to fish in a sustainable manner, I only take what I need, I practice C&R, and I try to limit my footprint on our waterways.I believe I'm paying heavily already to persue my sport, with all the fees, charges and taxes I already pay. I think it's over the top already, and I'm not fishing as much as I'd like to, because of the expense of getting the boat out or going away. I'd LIKE to think another tax license would solve all the problems, but I don't really believe that, and I don't think you or anyone else is ever gonna convince me otherwise!

Netting licences........ yes, get rid of them all.............. Prawns are very different, can't catch them on a hook.

Prawns are no different! Follow a prawn trawler and see the kilometres of weed drifting behind the boats!Prawn trawlers work in the gulf and prawn trawlers destroy habitat! No habitat equals no breeding grounds equals no spawning areas equals no nursery areas equals no fish!
Guest dabilda

Netting licences........ yes, get rid of them all.............. Prawns are very different, can't catch them on a hook.

Prawns are no different! Follow a prawn trawler and see the kilometres of weed drifting behind the boats!Prawn trawlers work in the gulf and prawn trawlers destroy habitat! No habitat equals no breeding grounds equals no spawning areas equals no nursery areas equals no fish!
We had the same issues with the scallop trawlers in Port Phillip Bay............... but at the end of the day these things can all be done in a reduced and sensible manner, all the while maintaining similar catch rates and reduced damage to natural habitat.I'm in no way a greenie, not even close. I'm a Carpenter/builder........... if it weren't for trees being cut down and mines being dug I'd be out of a job and many Aussies would have nowhere to live. Anything can be done, but it has to be done at a rate that can be replenished by nature as quick as we are taking it. That is "sustainability"There are so many problems we now have because past gov'ts have not ever considered that fact. Increasing populations put added preasure on all resources, these things need to be thought about and allowed for prior to the population increases. Water, Roads, Housing, Recreation etc etc................ We are now living in a society created by the decisions of gov'ts in power 20 yrs ago............ Don't blame Rudd for all this......... he inherrited it........... Hawke, Keating and Howard created it.What we live now, was created then................. it is now up to us to decide what our children might be faced with in 20 yrs time.Will we leave them a fishery, or will we leave them another dead sea?Speak up, get your voice heard or will we let our fishery fall into disrepair as so many other things have?

We could aways listen to the guy I saw on telly last night. He was calling for voluntary extinction of the human race, in an effort to save the planet. Wanting us all to stop breeding, so that our race dies out and the planet has a chance to rejuvenate before it's too late! I was just wondering.....................why didn't he lead by example? {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifBack to the real issue though, I've done a lot of networking with our interstate counterparts, and I'm wondering why they're complaining so much, if the license scheme works and has given them a voice. Just look at Victoria which you are familiar with. They're up in arms about the dredging of PPB, and have held endless protests, public meetings and court battles trying to stop the dredges. they even joined a coalition group with greens and other bay users, but weren't listened to.They're complaining about the marine parks which are taking away prime fishing grounds, with more and more due to be instituted.They're complaining about the state of many of the ramps, and the lack of maintenance.They're complaining about the state of the Yarra and the toxins buried in the silt.They're complaining that they're queueing for periods well over one hour to launch/retrieve because there aren't enough facilities for the population.This list goes on and on, so how are they being heard, when the state of affairs over there seems worse than we have here in SA?Yeah I'm sure, the licensing fees may well be doing some good, and I'm sure it's funding some projects (restocking impoundments, etc), but it doesn't seem to have solved the problems over there, and that also leads me to believe it wont solve the problems here.It wont stop the desalination plants, it wont get rid of the trawlers/netters, it wont save our degraded/non-existant weed beds destroyed by pollution dumped into the gulf, it wont provide TAC's for pros, etc, etc.We've already had the net buyback, and they will never get rid of ALL netters coz some are needed for market demand.Anyway, I've more than had my say here now, so maybe it's time for me to let others voice their own views on the matter.

Attention Deficit Disorder was keeping me awake again! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifActually, while you lot were cuddled up in ya cozy lil beds, I was really having a late night doing some WORK on the pc, yes WORK, and just takin time out to reply to this thread while working.

Are you sure you got time to fish work Ranger? {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHave you ever heard of Adelaide dental centre. I think that's what it's called. Maybe we should both make an appointment.