Recreational Fishing licence for SA

Guest dabilda

Prawns are no different! Follow a prawn trawler and see the kilometres of weed drifting behind the boats!Prawn trawlers work in the gulf and prawn trawlers destroy habitat! No habitat equals no breeding grounds equals no spawning areas equals no nursery areas equals no fish!

O.K. Einstien {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif How else do the Prawn trawlers gather prawns, we all love to eat them, is there a solution to the problem.If the habitat is destroyed, where do the prawns spawn and regenerate, the weed must grow back reasonably quickly, as by now there would not be a single blade of sea grass anywhere, by the ammount of trawling that goes on[/color:19rrfji1]

O.K. Einstien {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif How else do the Prawn trawlers gather prawns, we all love to eat them, is there a solution to the problem.

They dont, and that's why I say we can never get rid of ALL the trawlers in the gulfs, because the market demands their product! What we need instead is TAC's on those left working our gulfs to limit them on what they're taking, and to give the area a chance to recover.

We've already had the net buyback, and they will never get rid of ALL netters coz some are needed for market demand.

If the habitat is destroyed, where do the prawns spawn and regenerate, the weed must grow back reasonably quickly, as by now there would not be a single blade of sea grass anywhere, by the ammount of trawling that goes on[/color:6ehf1ntq]

I think that one has already been answered by someone else.

We had the same issues with the scallop trawlers in Port Phillip Bay............... but at the end of the day these things can all be done in a reduced and sensible manner, all the while maintaining similar catch rates and reduced damage to natural habitat.

Monitoring of the seagrasses in our gulfs has been ongoing for years now, and it seems weedbeds have been constantly in decline according to collected data! I don't have that on hand at the moment, and I'd have to search to find it again unless someone else has it handy here.Talk to the trawlers and they'll tell ya the nets are raised so as not to drag through the weed beds, then look behind a trawler in operation, and tell me what you really believe!What does Einstein know anyway! He had a silly haircut and a theory of relativity. Now I can tell ya, EVERYTHING is relative and ya get more respect when you're well groomed!Now you get back to ya perimeter young man, or you'll be on report for deserting your post whilst on active service! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

we whinge about things not happening for us, or being held out of areas etc. The only way we have a chance of being heard and taken seriously is if people realise we are not a bunch of deroes, and that we take fishing seriously, and the only way we can do that is by organising ourselves into fishing clubs or register under a fishing body, and be able to raise funds for ourselves! I think that is the bottom line of the matter, without organisation and funds, we will be forced out of more fishing areas, and pollution and degradation of habitat will continue.

Talk to the trawlers and they'll tell ya the nets are raised so as not to drag through the weed beds,

My understanding -quite trueYou need to know how a trawler operates to understand what goes onWho would drag nets along any sort of bottom--no oneNets are raised so that they dont drag on the bottomWhat you need to know ---preceding the nets are chains which are dragged along the bottomThis makes the prawns jump and wallah the net behind picks them up {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

Talk to the trawlers and they'll tell ya the nets are raised so as not to drag through the weed beds,

My understanding -quite trueYou need to know how a trawler operates to understand what goes onWho would drag nets along any sort of bottom--no oneNets are raised so that they dont drag on the bottomWhat you need to know ---preceding the nets are chains which are dragged along the bottomThis makes the prawns jump and wallah the net behind picks them up {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif
Knowing bugger all about trawlers, this explains quite a lot!I couldn't for the life of me work out why a net would be dragged along the bottom, tearing up the grass and decimating the area for future prawning, and then filling the net with grass.Now I'm a little wiser I have a better understanding. Seems the chains are what's destroying the grass beds. Still makes me wonder though. Less seagrass means less habitat for future prawning, and surely it still fills the net with grass? {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifMebbe there's a quid to be made designing some sorta roller system on a cable which still rolls along in front of the net raising the prawns, but merely flattening the grass as it moves along! Or am I in fairyland again?

preceding the nets are chains which are dragged along the bottomThis makes the prawns jump and wallah the net behind picks them up

They're called kick chains, and I can till remember how much uprooted sea grass we used to have to shake out of the net after the prawnies had been working, by the end of the 2nd or 3 rd shot your arms were ready to fall off. Recollections from days as a power haul decky in the mid 80's, as soon as the belly in the net used to get loaded up with weed the skipper would always deem that was the best time to change me over to the cork line which meant I was the one doing all the shaking, couldn't possibly shake the lead line as it might come off the bottom an inch or two and let the fish out?? {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif