Was talking to a guy at the St Kilda boat ramp yesterdayHe had a bucket full of fish and shark scraps he had bought for crab baitApparently from The Fish Factory for around $2 a kiloHe had never used carp for crabs so i swapped him a carp head for some scraps.I did notice though that with every pull i was getting more crabs with the Carp baitWas talking to a mate last night and he tells me its because the carp STINK a lot more than sea water fishSecondly does anyone use those plastic crab bait holders and does it restrict the amount of bait the crabs stealA few times yesterday i had to re-bait every 15 - 20 mins. Especially with the cutlets Ive now run out of carp so ill have to plan a trip to the Murray and re-stock the freezerORIf anyone is going carp fishing and don't want them. Let me know and ill take them off ya hands (I'm in the northern suburbs)

Ive never used carp as crab bait BG, but after freezing one, I dicovered that process seemed to increase the smell.Was out with b2 at the time, and we just about :vomit: after it defrosted :whistle:Are the bought baitholders pretty robust ? Its pretty amazing what hungry blueys will do !Ive even found chicken wire gets mangled by the Blueys :ohmy:

• 2 years later...

I make my own crab bait holders & use carp generally but sometimes squid pieces & any other off cuts of fish. Try using the home brand sardine tins with holes just pierced into the pull off lid. This works really well & cheap. I can put at least two of the tins in the holder plus whatever else you want. Virtually crab damage proof.Photos of crab bait holders below:CopyofBaitHolder001.jpgCopyofBaitHolder003.jpg