matching a reel to a Sabre

Hi allRecently I was lucky enough to do a swap with a member , and ended up with a 6 kilo sabre O/head rod :woohoo: :)B) I'm stuck now as to what reel to use on it though.I tried running an ABU 7000 on it, but found it a bit heavy and awkward :S Any suggestions ? So many choices out there, its hard to pick whats "best" :whistle: Looking to pay anywhere from 150 to around the $200 mark :fishing::boot:

Go with the ABU 6500 from Southie' date=' as i use a ABU 6500 barra king on my sabre and to me is a great combination.;):clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo:[/quote']Yep def thinking along those lines Rickster.what Sabre blank do you have ?Does it smell faintly of Butterfish and KGs ?
I have a Sabre Tournament blank that is 5-10kg to be made yet(which i will make myself) and the other the one i use with the ABU 6500 i am not sure as i bought it from another fisho some 25yrs ago and would be 30+ yrs old in it's self and am looking at replacing all the guides at the moment as they are very dated. The rod it's self is in very good condition for it's age and is about 7ft.
Guest marineboy

Why dont you take it to a suitably stocked & staffed tackle store, where there is a myriad of shiny reels to fit both on top & beneath the rod in question, seeing which ones feel best within your unspecified budget? Then you can make up your own mind as to what reel matches it. :whistle: I would suggest that there would be less than a dozen choices of reel that are suitable to fish 4-6kg anyway & an ABU 7000 wouldnt be one of them.

i've got one of each, a swedish made 6000 and a corsair (original version of corvalus, but a little better) and both sit in the cupboard. the 6000 runs little over a kilo of drag, and that's with carbontex washers in it (work that one out???). shame because they cast insane.go a saltist or a tekota. best reels for the cash. krusty has a saltist 20 on here cheap that would suit that rod perfectly.

the 6000 runs little over a kilo of drag' date=' and that's with carbontex washers in it (work that one out???). shame because they cast insane.go a saltist or a tekota. best reels for the cash. krusty has a saltist 20 on here cheap that would suit that rod perfectly.[/quote']Would have thougt the carbonTex would have helped more than that ?I was petty limited time-wise today, but got to the shops I could for a good look around.Ended up bringing a Shimano Torium home with me. Tekotas were a close second though !Definitely looking forward to giving it a good workout for sure :woohoo: :fishing: :f Pity I missed krustys reel being for sale though :pinch: :whistle:
i've got one of each' date=' a swedish made 6000 and a corsair (original version of corvalus, but a little better) and both sit in the cupboard. the 6000 runs little over a kilo of drag, and that's with carbontex washers in it (work that one out???). shame because they cast insane.go a saltist or a tekota. best reels for the cash. krusty has a saltist 20 on here cheap that would suit that rod perfectly.[/quote']lol. i wouldnt use any of the two. (6500 or corvalus) myself but the question was cheap reel for matching 6 kilo rod. if you get a tekota or a saltist for 200 your doing good.

if you get a tekota or a saltist for 200 your doing good.

Yep, true Srick. I had to "up" the budget a bit to get to the level I'm at, but then thats how it works:pinch: :whistle: Pity I didnt see your post about Krustys reel a bit earlier -matt- !Them's the breaks sometimes though I guess.

Calcutta 400 or Luna 3000... sweer as....tekota and saltist probably too heavy but the little 20 might do it...tekota 300 looks good on paper untill you feel the sh!t ass handle...

I was thinking TEK500 there Shauno??.Surely the Tekota 500 wouldnt be to big and would have a level wind!!The problem I see with the Torium 14 is no level wind. I really value the level wind when snapper fishing. LOL and of course its all about what I value not what the purchaser Brent values....heeee heee haaa haaa
Guest Brent61

when it comes to the crunch mate, only you can decide whats good.what may feel good for some people will be totally different to anybody else.best bet is taking the rod with you when you look. try a reel on the rod, its feel, balance,are entirely an individual thingbrent