setup for big kingfish

Hey guys, I'm putting together a rig for going after kingies in shallow water and was wondering about wind on leaders as I've never used them before. From what I've read most people use a wind on of around 150lb, but is that it, do you tie the hook to the wind on or use another length of leader and if so, what's the prefered way to connect the wind on to the leader? Also, where and how do I attach a balloon to the whole thing? Any help would be appreciated as it seems that big kingies can sort out weak links in tackle quickly and it would suck to hook a good one and have it end in heartbreak because of improperly rigged gear.

I didn't realize that wind ons came with a snap swivel, are all of them like that? I don't think I'd want to use the snap, never trusted those things for heavy duty work, I only use little ones on lightweight gear to make lure changes easy and help keep twist out of the line.After further reading, I'm thinking about a 100-150lb wind on then a good quality swivel and a metre or two of leader in 60-100lb depending on conditions and the mood of the fish. I guess I'll tie the balloon around the leader and the swivel can act as a stop.

ye inoe where your coming from about those snap swivels thow not the most reliable thing in the world.. not alll of the wind on's come with snap swivels mine did coz i got it off someone lol. 150 pound wind on leader should be ample for kingies and id be going 100 - 150 pound trace

Sampo snaps are good.With snaps you really do get what you pay for.I reckon you could run 100lb wind-on no problems. At the end you can either run a snap swivel or a solid ring. Depends on what you want as the weight of a quality snap and swivel is going to drag your line down but a solid ring is a lot lighter. Then run a metre and a half of 100 - 150 lb (depends on how touchy they are) to the hook. If you can run more then do it but it comes down to what your fishing from and how long your rod is. If you cant lift the bait out of the water it gets annoying having to grab the line and lift the bait in. I use a small rubber band to wrap around the leader and some old braid to connect to the balloon.you can slide the rubber band along the wind-on to get the depth you want.

• 1 month later...

If you're fishing from the kayak then that changes things significantly.You'll be able to get away with much lighter gear than would be required from a boat or land based. Even with a locked up drag you're only going to be putting a few kilos of pressure onto the fish - that is unless you're heavily anchored or tied off to something.A heavy leader is definitely a must - as is a reel with ample line capacity - but apart from that... be prepared for a long battle.Tight lines.