short jigging rod

Gday guys and gals. A bloke is trying to offload his 5ft jigwrex onto me, and im sort of keen. Thing is i'll only use it for jigging maybe 3-4 times a year, the rest of the time it will earn its keep bottom bashing.Im wondering how a short rod rated to pe8 will go with normal bait fishing for bigger fish. Would it be too stiff? Im not gonna get to play with the rod and test it for a while, so was hoping for some feedback on here.If anyone has used this rod, or has any info that would be awesome.Its a spin model, 5ft, 1piece, pe8 ratingCheers rooboy

I agree that it would be terrible but only because of the PE rating. If it was lower then I dont see what the problem would be for using it for bait fishing?If it was PE 3-5 then it would be better suited with a lighter tip to feel the nibbles. What reel are you gonna match it up with?UHR why do you need 6 ft for your bottom bouncing?Cheers

Like UHF I like at least 6'6 quality rod for bottom bouncing because they tend to be powerful in the butt section but sensitive in the tip.I don't know of a rod under 6 foot that possess these qualities. But if it exists then i guess it would be fine for bootom bouncing.Bit longer rod gives more striking power as well.

Each to their own I suppose, me personlly, I much prefer a rod under 6ft so its easier to move around the boat without hitting the canopy, radio mast (VHF- UHF and AM-FM) or the console when running around from one side of the boat to the other. I can move it around the outboard easy enough and I reckon you get more lifting power out of the shorter rod than the longer one of the same breaking strain.I am only short so maybe thats another factor as well!

Cheers all for the replys/discussion. I ended up passing on the rod. I was thinking along the lines of Rollas, the heavy pe rating might have been too much with a rod that short.I was trying to convince myself that it would be ok for bottom baiting, as once you have the fish on the rod you still have to play it out the same way. Whether you caught by bait or jig.Probably wouldnt have used it enough anyway.:( Rollas i woldve chucked a 12000spheros on itCheers rooboy

My offshore bottom bouncing rod is a 7 foot 10-15 wilson texalium.I've had for 6 or 7 years now and its become my favourite rod.Friends of mine reckon its just an ugly stick wrapped in alfoil.Run 80lb braid through it via a penn torque and it handles everything from stingrays the size of a block of flats right down to nannygai.

Hey Nanman, whats the Torque like to use? I was kinda keen on one for a while and then they brough out the lever drag version and I thought that was even better but you dont hear anything about them. Looking online there is not a lot of people using them either.Rooboy,your right, on the money about using elephant gun gear. You tend to leave it at home after a while because your using the lighter gear. Its nice to have but at the cost of it sitting around is it worthwhile when you could get something that you will use more often. I reckon 50lb braid should handle most situations and if not then thats the trade off. Not that I dont have a reel spooled with 80lb but it only comes out on the long range charters or the trips up north.