Smooth plastics reel suggestions

Guest fishum

Guest fishum

With previous post asking about soft plastics rod and line I now need a new reel.Just recently doing a number of casts at the onkaparinga river I could only find one reel that I owned that was suitable which was a small 1000 size michelle spinner,the main reason was that the bail arm would flip over on the turn of the handle with minimal effort.When I use a reel I always manually flip over the bail wire but in this case I?m going to be doing a lot of casting and need something smooth..Now looking for advice on the brand and type of spinning reel around the 2000-3000 size which has a smooth bail arm flip over using the handle.I don?t need anything in the top end price reels as it will be used only a few times a year at the coorong for the small mulloway.

My opinion only, although I'm sure a lot of anglers will agree, that there are really only two names to consider for this type of spinning gear.DAIWA or SHIMANO.In my own view, Daiwa is now streets ahead of Shimano as Shimano seem to have stalled in the water a few years back, while Daiwa continued to improve their technology year after year.Just this season Shimano released the Fireblood, which I believe is a blatant copy, trying to put themselves back into the running and once again catch up to Daiwa (I don't think they've been successful though).For this sorta fishing, smooth, well balanced and most of all braid friendly gear is a must, as is a super smooth drag system. Features important to you are gonna be stuff like: ABS (anti-backlash system), Infinite anti-reverse, Airbail, Twistbuster line roller, cross wrap line oscillation, waterproof drag, anti-corrosion ball bearings, digigear machined drive system. If choosing shimano I'd suggest you look only at Symetre, no, make that only Stradic or higher for Mulloway, but if choosing Daiwa you'll find a much larger range available, depending on your budget.In the Daiwa range I'd suggest anything from: Regal or CY (possibly), but I'd moreso consider Exceller, Exceller Plus, Tierra, Team Daiwa Advantage, SOL, Luvias, Certate, Airity, Gekkabyn, Morethan Branzino, Exist, Infeet, Steez.If stores still have older stock, then there's stuff like: Laguna, Kastor, Caprice, Capricorn, Caldia Kix which will all do the job nicely.

Guest fishum

The only thing i want out of a reel is the smooth flip over on the bail arm using the handle compared to some that have a hard clunk as for some reels you have to get a bit of a run up to get it to go over.And that includes some expensive reels.Iv?e got plenty of reels here but not smooth with the flip over Very rare to get big mulloway in the coorong upper reaches,most will be undersized 40-46cmIt doesn?t matter if it?s only a cheap $50 or $300 reel just need that one thing about it. Some one would know what I?m trying to find..

The only thing i want out of a reel is the smooth flip over on the bail arm It doesn?t matter if it?s only a cheap $50 or $300 reel just need that one thing about it. Some one would know what I?m trying to find..

Whatever you choose, ensure it's a braid friendly reel, or it could prove to be more trouble than it's worth.

Given that you wanted to fish braid straight through to the lure on a 1000 size reel tossing up to 30cm lures to 40-46cm Mulloway, and were asking for advice on rods, reels and lines for this purpose, after realising ya glass rod wouldn't do the job for you, yep, I figured you were new to this. I'll refrain from offering anything further.

Guest fishum

You on the turps tonight..Only wanted to know what reel has a smooth bail arm flip and i get a list of diawa and that doesn't really cover my question cause they all can't have what i'm looking for..

Surely you must know these things you ask ?as stated by you on another forum you say your a "reel junkie" most people i know that are "reel junkie's" and tackle junkies know these things because they keep up to date with new products over the years as they come out.All ive ever seen from you is "reel junk" apart from a saltiga wich you bought after going on about high end reels being a "con job' and not worth the dollars!And what happened too that? you sold it! {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif oh and a diawa airity or emeraldas have soft closing bail arms too an extent, but really what do you call soft?

Guest Thahn

Fishum its called a "TACKLE SHOP" you go in them and look feel play with there products. Hey presto you could find out fot your self. You obviously are not that much of a fishing junkie if you are tying your lures etc straight to the braid. Is that box of $20 reels meant to impress us??

Certainly some garbage in that box Fishum, best thing for it, a donation to Rob Wilson, at least he could use them for something.I have a feeling this post will be removed shortly, as did the Daiwa stopping Saltiga manufacture, Shimano ceasing Baitrunners, Tackle store identities etc etcoh OOPs, cant remove anymore, will need to be more careful what we say now.Finatic

You on the turps tonight..Only wanted to know what reel has a smooth bail arm flip and i get a list of diawa and that doesn't really cover my question cause they all can't have what i'm looking for..

Nope, Saturday nights are my "on the turps nights".I attempted to provide you with the best answer I possibly could, while giving you all the features I thought were important in a reel you're gonna be casting constantly for hours on end. And that's because you asked:

With previous post asking about soft plastics rod and line I now need a new reel.Now looking for advice on the brand and type of spinning reel around the 2000-3000 size which has a smooth bail arm flip over using the handle.I don?t need anything in the top end price reels as it will be used only a few times a year at the coorong for the small mulloway.

I gave you advice on BRAND and TYPE, ALL WITH THE SMOOTH BAILARM ACTION, but you didn't like it!If this stuff IS all new to you, then you ARE gonna need more than just a smooth bail arm in this reel, whether you realise it at this stage or not, and I tried to give you an indication as to the other features which are important.I have nothing to do with Daiwa myself, but as far as I'm concerned, Daiwa reels are the ducks guts when it comes to lure casting, and that's why I've been recommending the Daiwa range to you.The smooth bail arm you're refering to is what they (Daiwa) call the "AIRBAIL" a hollow tubular stainless steel bail which gives strength but also light weight. ALL the reels I quoted to you DO have this feature!! Add to this, you also NEED the twistbuster line roller on the end of the bailarm when using braid which redices line twist and friction between the line and the roller.I listed all the products in the Daiwa range which incorporate these features, so that you should have found something to suit whatever budget you currently have, but still something capable of doing the job properly, and still ALL with the smooth bail arm operation you were looking for.I even offered to lend you a few of my own rods and reel outfits, so that you could compare them and see for yourself before making your mind up on what would suit you best.Honestly, you've given me a slap in the face in return, and shown me a box full of cheap reels, NONE of which can lay braid properly (cross wrap) or constantly cast light lures with any degree of success or reliability.I dont expect that you have to take my advice, but I don't expect a slap in the face for offering it to you!Ignore my advice, put up with the line cutting into itself, twists in the line and loose loops of line falling of the reels and tangling, braid getting caught in the line roller, sticky drags snapping off fish, etc, etc, then when you're ready to throw your reel to the sh*thouse, take a minute to reconsider what I had to tell you here when you asked.I have gone through so many reels myself in the pursuit of this game, and without wanting to spend a sh*tload myself on top end Shimano Stella's for the job, I converted to the Daiwa range (from the cheaper end through to the top end) a coupla years back, and havent looked back since. Hence my reason for also suggesting the Daiwa rod range to you. I figured that you would more than likely end up with a Daiwa reel to gain all the features you need at a reasonable cost, so why not then team it up with a rod built to suit that reel, then you'd know that you have the best balanced outfit that you could get.Oh, and remember, I ALSO suggested some of the Shimano range to you, but only the one's I was confident COULD do the job properly for you.As for the other BRANDS of reels? I'd suggest you leave them on the shelf, but I think I already offered that to you when I said only choose between Daiwa or Shimano!

Fishum,In previous posts where you were selling some of your gear you made mention that you have mates in the trade that give you good deals. If these mates are in the trade surely they would have all the advice you would need. They should also have the product there for you to have a look at. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif Spotter

Guest big lizard

Comeon guys leave Fishum alone he know what his talking about {SMILIES_PATH}/afro.gif Just kidding he has no idea....Now get to cash converters get rid of that garbage you own Fishum buy a top end Daiwa or Shimano then come back in three months and tell us how ya went...Then i might listen to you {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif MIGHT lmao [u:3rer1gk5]not either[/u:3rer1gk5]

Guest fishum

You guys have missed the whole conversation starting in another thread using soft plastics on the onkaparinga river for the first time then I asked about rods now reels.The reels question was just a follow on No different then some one taking up fly fishing for the first time theres going to be alot of learning. As i have never fished with such light gear ..I clearly stated in that thread :As I haven?t done this area for a long long time and never with soft plastic lure I?m asking for advice on how ONKA soft plastics help...on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:30 pmhttp://www.strikehook.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=28

FishumIt's postings that you have made before that make me wonder where you are coming from with some of the questions you ask.Example of one of your postsRe: OKUMA -Aveon AE-45 NEW in box $160by fishum on Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 pm No not ebay.I know people in the industry and i can buy them cheap for myself.I found another reel that i would like to have and thats why i'm selling this.If i don't like the next one i sell it.I'm nearly at the end of selling.During the last 3 weeks i sold 13 reels and 5 rods..still got a few left.I would have owned 150-160 reels by now and some for one day.The SA forums sell slow or not at all.You guys get the first go then in most times it ends up interstate.There are some really good reels out there at very affordable prices..that won't break the bank.Last edited by fishum on Thu May 29, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total. Spotter

You guys have missed the whole conversation starting in another thread using soft plastics on the onkaparinga river for the first time then I asked about rods now reels.The reels question was just a follow on No different then some one taking up fly fishing for the first time theres going to be alot of learning. As i have never fished with such light gear ..I clearly stated in that thread :As I haven?t done this area for a long long time and never with soft plastic lure I?m asking for advice on howFishum, I dont think anyone has missed the conversation at all.You asked for advise, and when it was given, you snubbed it and got personal.There are some very talented Anglers on this site, and many are prepared to share their knowledge graciously.Please dont ruin it for those of us that want to learn new techniques and ideas, by pushing them away. Thanks.
Guest fishum

Reply to your commentsThe box of reels is just old junk that won?t be used any more as nothing even came close in trying them out..(spinning reels)Rangers reply gave names of reels but do each one of them have that soft close bail arm ?.i must have missed the true meaning of the reply.thought it was just a list of smooth reels but did they have soft close.Braid Line direct to lure..Any one that has fished up and beyond tauwitchere (coorong) knows water visibility is almost zero.Just to find a hole 10 foot deep you need a sounder..So I can?t see the line being visible to fish.Comment .. ensure it's a braid friendly reel..New to soft plastics but not to picking a reel with braid friendly feature.But the comment from ranger about line twist and diawa makes good advise..Tackle supplier is not a on shelf browse being a warehouse .They?re not that interested in me buying just one reel ,only asking for availability over the phone is the best I can get from them..The aveon reel for sale was going to be used for this type of fishing but worked out to big and no soft close.Was hoping for a short cut in finding a reel thought the forum but I think that the best way is to pick them up and try them and then ask supplier..

Rangers reply gave names of reels but do each one of them have that soft close bail arm ?.i must have missed the true meaning of the reply.thought it was just a list of smooth reels but did they have soft close

Yes, try any one of them for a comparison to what you're used to. It's the lightweight hollow bailarm which helps provides this soft close characteristic. I thought I explained the "airbail" from Daiwa.The "smoothest" closing bailarm I have amongst my own collection is an older black/gold Team Daiwa Advantage, and that ISN'T one of the latest/greatest or most expensive reels in the Daiwa line-up. Albeit ALL the Daiwas are smooth in comparison to most other brands.

Braid Line direct to lure..Any one that has fished up and beyond tauwitchere (coorong) knows water visibility is almost zero.Just to find a hole 10 foot deep you need a sounder..So I can?t see the line being visible to fish

I also explained It's not only about visibility. Braid has virtually no stretch, so you NEED a florocarbon (or even a monofilament) leader to provide a little stretch and act as a shock absorber otherwise the fish is gonna snap you off, or you're gonna pull the hook and lose the fish.

Was hoping for a short cut in finding a reel thought the forum but I think that the best way is to pick them up and try them and then ask supplier

You got ya short cutEither:Shimano from Stradic to Stella (budget dependant)Or:Daiwa from Excellor to Luvias (budget dependant).All these reels will do the job well and have the features you need. As explained, my own personal preference is for Daiwa, but either brand will do the job. If you provide your budget, I can even narrow it down to one or two reels, but I don't think any retailer is gonna take very kindly to you trying their reels and comparing them, but then going to ya supplier/warehouse to purchase.Things are pretty tough in the tackle trade at the moment, so many retailers are doing it hard, and struggling to make a buck. Maybe it isn't such a good idea to waste their time or use them for a comparison if you have no intention of purchasing from them.
Guest fishum

RANGER WROTE:I also explained It's not only about visibility. Braid has virtually no stretch, so you NEED a florocarbon (or even a monofilament) leader to provide a little stretch and act as a shock absorber otherwise the fish is gonna snap you off, or you're gonna pull the hook and lose the fish.But having a knot say 2 meters down the line going to slow down the cast using such a light lure.Couldn't this be done playing the fish using less drag.Or just moving to mono solves this problem.What u think

RANGER WROTE:I also explained It's not only about visibility. Braid has virtually no stretch, so you NEED a florocarbon (or even a monofilament) leader to provide a little stretch and act as a shock absorber otherwise the fish is gonna snap you off, or you're gonna pull the hook and lose the fish.But having a knot say 2 meters down the line going to slow down the cast using such a light lure.Couldn't this be done playing the fish using less drag.Or just moving to mono solves this problem.What u think

Yes, any knot will interfere with casting distance. Choose the smallest neatest knot with the holding strength you require. Generally double uni or albrights.With the lure wound to the top of the rod ready to cast, ensure the leader knot is NOT wrapped onto the spool of the reel, but instead falls just short of the reel, so that the knot does not catch on your braid, pulling loose loops of line off the reel and creating problems. This is NOT a shock leader as used for surf fishing, and should not be wound onto the spool as shock leaders.Using less drag will not help, because you still need to set the hook in their bony mouth, and then you have turn their head to get them out of structure, and/or pull them up before they spool you.Using monofilament will reduce your casting distance much more than a knot, because the equivalent monofilament line is much thicker than braid, causing more resistance through the air, then when in the water the belly of line you'll find in monofilament line will prevent you from feeling the small touches from the fish, and you'll miss too many fish without ever knowing they were there.This game is all about finesse and stealth. Fish normally take the lure on the drop, when you wont always feel it, so you watch the line for small movements, which give away that a fish is nudging your lure. This is one of the reasons why braid is so important, and why hi visibility (pink, orange, yellow, etc) braid is often used, to help the ANGLERS see the line easily.For days when fish are very touchy and refuse most offerings, anglers will sometimes use florocarbon straight through, but it's generally a VERY light line to entice the fish to strike, and often results in bust-offs from fishing too light.This game isn't about skull dragging fish into the boat for a feed. It's about sport, so we use the lightest gear that will maximise our chances of enticing a fish, but still do the job effectively.

Braid Line direct to lure..Any one that has fished up and beyond tauwitchere (coorong) knows water visibility is almost zero.Just to find a hole 10 foot deep you need a sounder..So I can?t see the line being visible to fish.

Any one that has fished up and beyond tauwitchere (coorong) knows that the coral formed by worm castings make the use of a high quality leader very important as thin braid will be cut like cotton, whereas the addition of a leader made from hard material will somewhat aleviate this problem!!! THIS IS THE BIG CONCERN, NOT JUST VISIBILITY Ranger and others have been trying to help you, but u cant help an expert...... clearly