pouring my own SP's

Hi AllLooking for a supplier that sells plastisol for pouring my own SP's, or if anyone else knows of a compound/recipe could you share {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/afro.gif ive seen the fishabait stuff that you bake in the oven, but im after one you can re-use, and that you heat and pour..cheers all.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

no offence taken fin, but like fishnuts says, im a tinkerer. and i cant buy what i want, so im gonna make them. its an extremely easy process, and quite economical when compared to buying premade ones from a brand name. smaller ones are not what im after either, im talking about man-sized SP's, not little grubs/minnows/prawns etc. a lot of information is available in the USA, and the product itself is realllly cheap there, im just trying to find an Aussie supplier. if you're interested, check out the Tackle Underground forum, pioneers in the field {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif imagine making your own glow in the dark squid for snapper, or a garfish for kings, and being able to melt down the leftovers and re-pour.. heaven..so, anyone else? cheers

Guest Thahn

Water Baby all of what you just mentioned can be bought of the shelf. I would like to see some home made ones. I personally think its a waste of time. I use a lot of soft plastics for many different species and really can not see you making any thing that isnt already available. Plus you would have to get a mold to pour them which would be off the shelf??

Water Baby all of what you just mentioned can be bought of the shelf. I would like to see some home made ones. I personally think its a waste of time. I use a lot of soft plastics for many different species and really can not see you making any thing that isnt already available. Plus you would have to get a mold to pour them which would be off the shelf??

yeah, some of it can be bought off the shelf, but why pay $20 for a garfish, or $10 for 3 x 6" flickbaits when i can make it for much less than half price? the mould i make myself, they're the easiest part of the equation, and cost less than $1 each to make, $2 if i do a double sided mould. and its totally re-usable. and its custom designed to what i want. and the plastic is the softness/hardness i want.[gets on soapbox] i also don't want my SP's to be bathed in juice and to be made of proteins. i dont think that they qualify as lures, they are just bait to me. i think that the art of using a soft plastic lure is being slowly lost, being able to work it, choosing the right size, shape, colour for the conditions too, but mostly the working of the lure. if i wanted bait, id buy a squid form the fishmonger and use that. [/end rant]so, does anyone know of plastisol in australia? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif
Guest Thahn

Would the product be up to the standard of the bought ones?? I want to see a home made one. Pretty much the only plastic worth using that come with soaked sent is the gulp. 6" flickbaits im pretty sure you get 6 for $10 which is reasonable and they WORK

Fair call guy's, if you have the time for tinkering, go for it. Don't know of the product being available here, try Basstrix in USA, they hand pour every single plastic. Finatic

yeah, the problem with buying from the US is freight in this instance. if i can get a cheap freight rate ill have to go for it, otherwise i need to find someone here who distributes it. the handpours of some of the blokes over there are awesome, the frogs, paddle tail worms and other custom designs and the colour blends are sweet. im looking quite forward to it, if i find it {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

I reckon its an awesome idea doing projects like this yourself.The satisfaction you will get from landing the fish of a lifetime on something you made yourself would be extremely satisfying. Any side hobby to do with the hobby you love is always fun. Damm, I still make my own sinkers.When I lived in the Top End, I used to tinker with making my own Barra lures. They were never as good as the bought ones, but I still got a thrill when I caught a fish on one. My mate even caught one on a tea spoon with a treble attached. We caught C&R over 50 fish that night, so obviously they were in a frenzy LOL.I am actually looking foreward to hearing more about this topic, the steps involved, the results etc. Keep em coming. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

I cant be any great help here, but I recall hearing quite awhile back, that the materials are quite difficult to get here, and expensive, in comparison to USA where it's readily available and cheap. From memory a place in QLD (I think) was listed on another forum a coupla years back which supplies it, but I'd never be able to obtain the company details for you now.I guess that's why ya don't hear of too many attempting it here.

I think some of you guys have been a negative on the poor bloke, ease up.The reason we have a lot of the things we use in every day life are due to people that tinker in there shed.Im sure most of the big fishing industry names around today didn't start out as big multi nationals that thought stuff it lets make fishing reels or rods. I bet some of them where just mucking around in the shed trying to improve there chances of catching a fish or developing an idea they had, and it went from there. That new squid jag is one idea that comes to mind, plus I know i've seen lures in some shops that are not mass produced and if I remember correctly there locally made in SA.Who knows Water Baby might come up with an idea that works a treat and decides to market it, he then produces it and sells it thru the fishing tackle shops where we buy it and go out and catch fish on it. Water baby I think you should give it a red hot go mate you've got nothing to lose apart from a few bucks and a bit of time, and to be honest at the end of the day its none of our business how you spend your time or money. Is it?Oh and welcome to the site.Cheers Ian {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Ps. can I have one from your first batch to try {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

Hi Big Ian, I wasnt trying to be negative, it was my little bit of humor at that time of night, I have for a long time wonderer how to make some soft plastic s as well, but never had the time of effort to do any thing aboit it.Dont give up water baby, there is always a quid to be made out there[/color:2scovxey]