Are The trawlers working at this time of the year?

Apparently we had a prawning ban here in Gulf St Vincent from like 1991-1994 or something. But now they are allowed to rape the seafloor again!The more I learn about professional fishing the more it disgusts me.

This is an interesting site .............http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2010/09/15/232611_fishing.htmlGood to see how they've included the reccies in their surveys :side: :clap:

So have you mainly found these pygmy's in the stomachs of fish in one area like stansbury way or do you find them in the stomachs of Ardrossan Barge fish as well?sorry bout the million questions..allways keen to learn more.:huh::lol:

I only fiah the deeper bottom half of the Gulf and don't have much knowledge up there :(

Its weird as I was wondering if pygmy lj's were a different species to normal leather jackets and when googling them I found this. which I think is quite funny as snapper scoff them down..:whistle: :whistle: THIS IS TAKEN FROM A SCUBA SITE.Has anyone ever seen a pygmy leatherjacket before? The pygmy leatherjacket are the cutest, looking little fish I have ever seen. Their cartoon characteristics, their cute little eyes, their puckered up pouting lips, their roundish little body all look as though someone has dreamed them up for a character in a Disney production. Ever since I saw a pygmy leatherjacket, they have been one of my favourite fish and I still get excited even now when I see them while diving.hahahahahahahahaahaand even more bizzare is this info:The Pygmy Leatherjacket is not a fast swimmer and anyone who has seen them while diving will notice that the fish will move off under or behind bits of seagrass or seaweed. They are quite hard to keep your eye on. At night these little fish usually sleep by attaching themselves to a bit of seaweed or sea grass. They attach themselves at the mouth, and sleep while swaying with the plant. You can usually see Pygmy Leatherjackets sleeping this way at Camp Cove on a night dive. So next time you go for a dive take the time to look closely at the seaweed and see if you can find one of my favourite little fish, the very cute Pygmy Leatherjacket.

Don't let fear hold you back Fishie, I am sure you have got plenty of other pics scanned in your p.c waiting to show the world.How about some of the area back then as well?As for the Pygmy LJ's, I guess these are the patches I am seeing on the sounder out in the Gulf. I find they move around a fair bit so they are not just hanging off the bottom sitting in the current against structure. Every time I turn around and go back over a patch it might take me two or three go's to find them again. So anchoring on them is not an option.

Rollas, I have plenty :whistle: I document a lot for my fishing records. Sounder Pics are always a useful tool to interpret different bottoms etc ... I never stop learning and that's what makes fishing so interesting. If i'm not out on the water then I'll be spending most of my free time researching different techniques or pouring through my records or old charts looking for new areas to try or fish old areas with fresh ideas of how to get the fish on the bite etc .... my brain never shuts down when it comes to fishing :S

Yep! you're right URH ... nice work :):clap: I didn't think they looked real cute like something out of "Finding Nemo"!Maybe they're big schools of baby leatheries... I wonder if PIRSA have ever done a study on Leatherjackets in our State Waters. I would be interested to know where they spawn and grow

Thats exactly what i was thinking Fishie.I was thinking that the baby LJ's that I pulled from the Snapper in my avatar pics were more than 9cm in lenth...more like 13 or 14cm or so, and I was thinking at the time that they just looked like baby leatheries.They definately do make up a reasonalbe portion of the snappers diet, so they are very important in my opinion.Ive never opened a snapper up and found a prawn..funnily enough...But im glad you posted the shot of them from within the big red as I was beggining to wonder if anyone else had come across em before.In fact I even did a discussion in group Big Reds asking what the strangest contents found in a Snappers stomach..LOL

Strangest thing I found was a dead seabird inside a snapper..... I don't think I would've liked to have been around that snaps when he farted :blush: :sick: :sick:

It might have just been a puff of feathers :ohmy: :laugh:
It still had the beak attached... looked like a seagull