Are The trawlers working at this time of the year?

Just looking out from Seacliff and there are 6 boats in a line about 8 - 10 miles out. Looks like pre Christmas prawn trawlers. Do they still drop the nets at this time of the year? I know there is a season on the eas coast but got no idea down here. It is a new moon so that is what I am guessing.Wonder how many coles trolleys they pick up out there!

I asked the question today and was told that the trawler crews are on a rest break. Apparently that is why the trawlers are moored in as close as they are. When I asked if they were trawling in that close I was told that they are not legally allowed to trawl in close like where they are now.

Who gave you that answer Boyington?I wanted to ask what the distance is they are legally allowed to dredge the seafloor from the coast. I have seen these guys all in a line one a little back from the other and to the left and one to the right of the lead trawler. Looks like a jet squadron formation. With the nets down nothing escapes. Anything that gets out of the line of one net ends up in the others.I would have thought they were in pretty close last night..

Off the PIRSA Website."The fisheries in Spencer Gulf and Gulf St Vincent are generally closed in January and February, and from July to October each year. Fishing periods in other months last a maximum of 18 nights from the last quarter to first quarter of the moon phase. Harvest strategies for each period are determined on the basis of data collected during regular fishery-independent and fishery-dependent surveys"Just a bit of info that might interest some. When the prawns were running on the east coast the creeks and estuaries would fire up, not sure how it is out in the gulf though.

I asked the question today and was told that the trawler crews are on a rest break. Apparently that is why the trawlers are moored in as close as they are. When I asked if they were trawling in that close I was told that they are not legally allowed to trawl in close like where they are now.

We had one go past just before we dropped anchor at an inshore spot about a month ago, and he definitely had the nets down. We had fish on the sounder but surpisingly enough they wouldn't bite :angry:

I got the answer from the lady that was filling in for Rob at the O'Sullies boat ramp. There were a couple of blokes in the kiosk that came in on a small rubber duckie that said they were off one of the trawlers. They were definately at anchor on Sunday arvo cos we went out to one of em to check it out. BUT maybe an enquiry needs to be submitted to PIRSA as to how far off the coast these trawlers need to be and indeed if they are trawling around this area. It's bad enough that when there is a Snapper run, the pro's have been seen working Snapper drops in as close as 2km. The reccies are being squeezed enough as it is.

The reccies are being squeezed enough as it is.

Not quite...... as far as I know the majority of Pro's in boats around the 20 ft size would only have a Coxswains Certificate and even with a Full Coxswains Certificate they are only allowed 15 nautical miles to seaward. Whereas, we can fish anywhere we like as long as we have the full compliment of safety gear.If you see Pro's in boats around the 20 ft mark fishing the Oil Rig or the G-Spot area then chances are, they're operating in breach of their Certification unless of course they have a higher qualification such as a Master Class 5 etc. A Coxswain can not even legally leave O'Sullies Ramp to fish the Tapley Shoals either as he would be traversing further than the 15nm to seaward from land.

Most guys I knew were Class 5. Only Deckies were Coxs and once they had the hours they would go to Class 5 asap. Even my mother is a class 5!I would have thought most Pro boats were bigger than 20ft as well? Most of the liners I have seen were 30+I would keep an eye on the prawn Industry, for the regulation that goes into it when its a PRO only resource if it fails then you know the Gov is not doing it right.

Most guys I knew were Class 5. Only Deckies were Coxs and once they had the hours they would go to Class 5 asap. Even my mother is a class 5!I would have thought most Pro boats were bigger than 20ft as well? Most of the liners I have seen were 30+

Howdy Rollas... I'm talking about the local Metro boats around the 20 ft mark (although I do know other kgw hookers in country areas that only have and need a 20 footer and cox to do their job) who are mostly part time Pro's that fish offshore here.... of course, in a fishing town most boats and qualifications would be greater :)

Rollas, I couldn't put a figure on it but all the Pro's I know that fish or have fished in this Gulf trailer their boats and they're all only coxswains. Main species targeted are King George Whiting, Squid, snapper and snook and a larger vessel isn't required as we don't have the seas in this Gulf as you get in Spencers Gulf. What I was trying to say in my first post is that they can't fish legally beyond the 15 nautical mile limit so places which can at times hold mega schools of snapper like the Oil Rig and G Spot area are out of their range so us Recco's have the upper hand in this instance unless the skipper of the boat does have a master class 5

It also comes down to what Survey Class your boat comes under... even a vessel under 3C up to 15 metres in length is only allowed to go 15 nm off the Coastlinehttp://210.247.132.180/alt-host/assets/pdf_file/0005/58406/3246235-v3A-F_465_MR_523_-_Small_Fishing_Vessel_Survey_and_Safety_Equipment_List.PDF

We may have the upper hand Fishie, but for those of us with smaller trailer boats, say 14 - 16 feet (just for sake of a size range), just can't safey travel out to the Oil Rig or G-spot. Weather conditions can change quickly regardless of the forecast, and the 15 nautical mile plus run is just too much of a risk in my opinion. Especially with the fact that in most cases I have at least two of my kids onboard. We did a run into Whyalla from Point Lowly Easter Friday in very heavy seas in my 15 footer and that was quite a hairy experience. But in that case, we were no more than 2k's from shore at any part of the run back to the Whyalla ramp. In mid Feb, a fellow SH'er and myself did a run in from 5 k's out when the weather went from dead flat to 3m plus in a matter of 10 minutes. 5k's out, quick run, 5k's back in those conditions (head on) took almost an hour. That is one experience I will never forget but it gave me confidence to tackle the run back to Whyalla Easter Friday or I would have just put in at Point Lowly. So when I say us reccies are being squeezed enough, it's not all of us obviously, but those of us who are restricted to mainly inshore activities.

Howdy Boyington, fair enough comments... I realised this after my initial post but at least we do have some consolation. Some of us are lucky enough to know someone in a bigger boat to fish further afield. There is still a lot to be done for a happy medium between Reccos and Pro Fishers and hopefully that will be in the form of TAC's (total allowable catch) for the commercial blokes :)

So true fishie, cant wait for a (TAC). I think its the Pros that form the biggest risk to our snapper fishery.But, I still think that we are doing very well here in SA!!Just take a look at the Victorian snapper situation, the average size of there fish are tiny compared to ours, they cant take very many and they think theyve got the best snapper fishery in the world.They then see how good we have it here in SA, and come flying across the border. I feel so priveledged to be able to fish locally and take some thumping fish from right on our back doorstep.Boyo, you are right if the trawlers continually sweep the bottom clear then the snapper are going to struggle to find food. I would be a lot happier if all of our SA prawns remained here in the state for sale but if there going overseas, then I would rather them be left for the snapper to eat. (as its supposed to be the number one food of snapper in this gulf) or so Ive read anyway.

Before the Prawn Trawlers started seriously fishing in Gulf St Vincent back in the early seventies, we had a really good snapper fishery here off the Metro Coast. We as Commercial Fisho's best and last catch was 1 1/2 ton of big snapper in 3 days only a few kilometres off Somerton and all by handline. However, once the Trawlers started catching the goldmine of megasize King Prawns the Snapper numbers started to dwindle each year and was probably due to their food source being reduced. More focus is spent on Snapper and Blue Crabs these days but previously there was always a good connection between Snapper and Prawns as their major food source

Hry Fishie! It's all cool mate. Yeah it is a bonus if you have or know someone with a bigger boat but those of us who don't, make do. I hope they do bring in TAC limits. Not just on Snapper but other species as well. At least I know now, on several occasions, why I have seen undersized fish, particularly Snapper, in fish shops. It's wrong that Pro's have different or no size limits with most fish, by-catch or not when us reccies have and in most cases, adhere to, Size and bag limits. I have made absolutely sure that I take nothing undersized or just over, taching my kids the right way from the start. Most reccies do this but obviously there are some that don't.

When I went on the PIRSA site I was expecting to see prawns listed as a major food source but was surprised to see it not listed.info from PIRSA website below.SnapperPagrus auratus Snapper is regarded as one of the glamour fish of saltwater fishing in South Australia and is an important recreational and commercial species.What do they look like?Snapper vary in colour from red to golden pink, to light grey on their backs and sides, with numerous small spots.Where are they found?Snapper are found throughout the southern half of Australia. Juvenile snapper, also known as rugger snapper, are mainly found in inlets, bays, shallow and sheltered marine waters. Adults are often found near reefs, underwater structures including limestone ledges, and man made structures such as artificial reefs and wrecks etc.Life cycleAs the juvenile snapper get older, there is a tendency to move deeper into gulf and offshore waters. They will usually remain in these waters until they reach 12 to 13 years of age, and then return to inshore waters for the remainder of their lives. Snapper in South Australian waters will spawn between late October and early March, with most snapper in the gulf waters reaching sexual maturity when they reach 28cm in length. Snapper are also known as serial spawners, meaning that they will spawn repeatedly during the breeding season.Snapper reach the minimum length of 38cm at approximately 6 years of age. They can reportedly live up to 35 years, with 22-year-old fish common in our waters.The legal minimum length of snapper, as with all species, is set so that most fish will have the best opportunity possible of reaching sexual maturity. This will ensure that snapper will continue to replenish its stock, allowing adequate access for all fishers.Feeding HabitsThe natural diet of snapper includes crabs, squid, sea urchins and mussels.Brett.

I thought the undersize fish were farmed hence the size being smaller to get them to market sooner. Plate Size.Highfly is that still based on boat size or just additional logged hours? Fishie, must have been pretty good back in them days. Can I ask if you have on historical pictures and clippings you would like to share showing how good it was back then?Boyington, you need to buy a bigger boat!

When I went on the PIRSA site I was expecting to see prawns listed as a major food source but was surprised to see it not listed..

They probably were a major food source when they existed in alrge enough numbers :S :whistle:
All I know is there doing it tuff if there eating sea urchins. What are they japanese snapper..lol because apparently Pagrus Auratus is found in Japan as well..:ohmy:

Each year, about October, huge schools of snapper mass below Kangaroo Island and in southern waters for the start of their spawning run north to warmer, shallow waters. Unfortunately these schools are nowhere near as big as they were 20 years ago. Big schools of snapper need vast food resources on their route to the spawning grounds, and the food chain has now been effectively broken by the prawn trawlers, which have just about cleaned the bottom of feed. In recent years amateur fisherman have had heavy restrictions placed on their snapper fishing, but the destructive prawning goes on. Bruce Harris (extract from SPOT-ON FISHING MARKS)@ uhf, sea urchin is delicious i bought some back from N.Z when on holiday, my old lady love's the stuff.N.Z have some pretty big snapper up north around the bay of islands, plenty of mussels, abalone & sea urchin.

Each year' date=' about October, huge schools of snapper mass below Kangaroo Island and in southern waters for the start of their spawning run north to warmer, shallow waters. Unfortunately these schools are nowhere near as big as they were 20 years ago. Big schools of snapper need vast food resources on their route to the spawning grounds, and the food chain has now been effectively broken by the prawn trawlers, which have just about cleaned the bottom of feed. In recent years amateur fisherman have had heavy restrictions placed on their snapper fishing, but the destructive prawning goes on. Bruce Harris (extract from SPOT-ON FISHING MARKS)@ uhf, sea urchin is delicious i bought some back from N.Z when on holiday, my old lady love's the stuff.N.Z have some pretty big snapper up north around the bay of islands, plenty of mussels, abalone & sea urchin.[/quote']Apparently we had a prawning ban here in Gulf St Vincent from like 1991-1994 or something. But now they are allowed to rape the seafloor again!The more I learn about professional fishing the more it disgusts me.
Fishie' date=' must have been pretty good back in them days. Can I ask if you have on historical pictures and clippings you would like to share showing how good it was back then?[/quote']Rollas.. this is part of the catch that I mentioned above.... as you can see, the average size of snapper was quite a lot larger in those days and it was quite common to catch fish in the 25 to 30 pound markPosted ImageURH, another main food source for snapper are the Pigmy Leatherjackets that school up out in the middle of the Gulf in the deeper parts. If you know where the Pigmy LJ's frequent then you'll also find the big schools of snapper feeding there also. The schools of Pigmy LJ's are quite often those big schools of fish that you runover as you're heading somewhere out deep Posted ImagePosted Image

Nice pic of the Pigmies..Yep, I did know that the snapper ate them as many of the snapper that Ive pulled from drops at stansbury have been filled with em.but cheers for the extra info on them.Do the Pigmies just look like a bait ball like a school of Macks or are they a lot different in size of school and have some easier way of distinguishing em?