BLOOD WORM RUN ------ Wanna Come?

Posted Image

BLOOD WORM RUN 2008

Looking for an effective alternative to expensive and increasingly rare cockles?Always wanted to secure your own fresh bait but havent known the Where, When and How?Kym from Salisbury TackleWorld has offered his assistance helping to make this years Blood Worm Run a Success for those with a bit of passion and a warm jacket!For anyone interested Kym will take his boat out on Tues the 8th of July (4-5 days following the NEW moon, though the worms could start after 3), and will happily show others the most likely spots and techniques for securing a decent supply of this quality bait.If you are keen Come down to GARDEN ISLAND BOAT RAMP @ 7:30 pm on Tuesday, July 8th.You will Need - Your Boat (to get to where the worms are!) - Tubs for your catch - A spotlight or 2 - A net with a handle of around 5' or more, those with a thin rim and fine mesh work best! - A BUDDY or 2 to help out as you cant do it all by yourself! One to drive the boat and 1 or 2 working the netsAlso make sure you have all the necessary lights and safety equiptment onboard as FISHERIES and MARINE & HARBOURS will be out, keeping an eye on the increased activity.I'm gonna come along too, because I want to see how its done. I asked Kym when it was happening and if he was going. At first he told me he would if someone wanted a hand; then after we had a look at dates and availability, it dawned that the experience of past runs might help others find them too, and hence this offer was put forth!So if ya interested indicate so by posting or sending either Kym (Finatic) or Me a PM to indicate your interest, you are of course more than welcome to direct any questions or comments through the same means.Should be good fun, and if all goes well whiting baits shouldnt be a problem for a while ;)

An essential event on the angling calendar! 8) I encourage people who've never done it before to tap into the knowledge of others who've been there and done that. You'll have a ball, and free bait, as Yak said. ;DBeanies are mandatory at that time of year and DON'T FALL IN!!!! Not everyone carries a hypothermic blanket in their boats.........hey Ranger.. ;):D ;DLooking forward to it, should be a blast! 8)Cheers,Wino

DON'T FALL IN!!!! Not everyone carries a hypothermic blanket in their boats.........hey Ranger.. ;):D ;D

Well I've never gotten wet myself, but I have it on very good authority that the water can be rather cool during the middle of the night in the midst of winter.So for anyone attempting a midnight dip as they reach to their furthest extent out over the gunnel (coz ya just gotta get that one last worm out there) maybe a thermal blanket and a hot thermos aint such a bad idea.Honestly, lookin at sad, wet, shivering, blue fishermen, really distracts me from my bloodworming (and I aint ever gonna let the poor bugger live it down!) :icon_lol:I already have plans made with others, so I'll be out there again this year in our usual spot. Although I'll more than likely be out on the Sunday night (6th), so's I can give you a report on whether the worms have come out to play.
  • 2 weeks later...

I went out Sunday night with Tank and another mate we got about 3000 bloodworms, the weather was looking shocking but wasn't all that bad once we were out there, it rained very heavily about 6 times :icon_e_confused: other than that I thought we did OK.Hope the worms are in abundance for those going out Tuesday night. ;)Cheers Ian ;D

I went out Sunday night with Tank and another mate we got about 3000 bloodworms,

Where were you? :icon_e_surprised:We were out around Pelican Point until about 10.00pm when I packed it in, and we got a grand total of ONE worm! I've named him Trevor, but in honour of our pm I thought i might rename him Kevin! :'(

Just wondering wether the 3 or 4 boats that launched from St Kilda did alright last night. It appears a rather lean bloodworm run this month. No pro boats launched this time round???????Ranger posted

Where were you? We were out around Pelican Point until about 10.00pm when I packed it in, and we got a grand total of ONE worm! I've named him Trevor, but in honour of our pm I thought i might rename him Kevin!

Didn't want you to miss anything RangerExtract from shout box 7-7-08 as shout box read from bottom to top.• niftrev : He was probably playing with that worm all nite• finatic : Trevor had a twin, he left it to breed• finatic : Grumpy, thats your ride, looks the deal?• niftrev : sounds like Ranger had a good nite. I take offence to that little worm being called trevor just because he only caught (0NE)• finatic : waterboy, work t'day?• ospray : aggree with you• finatic : yep, still the plan, will check weather first, wind should be ok, dont want a wet ass• ospray : tomorrow night I will be there 7.30• ospray : He might of done better then!!!• finatic : tommorows the night• finatic : no worms on the FULL moon• ospray :maybe he should have waited till the FULLmoon • finatic : slow night last nite, not too many • samboman : Yep will get rid of some of the crap in the streams for sure cal and freshen them up • grumpy : 1 worm has it now as pet called Trevor • ospray : hope tomorrow nite is better • ospray : did hre get many • grumpy : he went last nite • ospray :Is Ranger stillbloodworming tonight?How many of you are going tonight ?

Trev/Treva/Nifty/Niftrev it's gettin hard to tell who the pro boats are out there, coz it seems everyone is gettin more and more elaborate lighting setups, so ALL the boats look like pros!I go to the same area every year and generally do pretty well! I lucked out on sunday for the first time, but it seems Big Ian working another area found the worms everyone else was missing out on!Methinks if they were there Sunday, tonight would also be a good chance, but you'll have to ask Ian where, coz I don't wanna give his secrets away (if it is a secret that is)! Just so as not to upset you, Trevor has now been renamed Kevin Kev Big Kev Big Bloody Kev! ;DMe and Kev Big Bloody Kev have been engaged in some in depth and meaningful discussions since Sunday night, and Big Bloody Kev is now gonna give the ultimate sacrifice! I'm gonna remove him from the safety of his vegemite jar, stick a sharp lil hook right through his wormy gizzard and convert him into a lil fishy, which I'm gonna pin on a large livebait hook to convert to a Mulloway, which I'm gonna stick a big bl**dy knife into, to convert into dinner! Onya for steppin up to the plate Big Bloody Kev, you take one for the team buddy! It's an honourable decision you've made, and I'll see to it that you go out with dignity! ;DOh, and will someone tell finatic that me and Big Bloody Kev stayed up late last night to knit him a nice pair of wollen bedsocks! The big girls blouse that he is! :P

Sorry boys & girls, went soft, more importantly the kids were ferral, both got that whooping coughy thing last coupla days, thought it best to keep the peace & stay home. One thing noticed though, the selected date certainly pleased most that went, several happy worm punters have been in t'day boasting good catches.May stil be a few t'nite, good luck all. Finatic