Torrens Carp On Fly

• 3 months later...

They joy of flyfishing for carp for me is sightcasting to a leviathon, watching it engulf the fly preferably on the surface as you gently strike and then have line melt off the reel. Unfortunately the carp in the torrens arent usually as visble as they are in some other waterways. Im sure the topic has been covered at length here before if you do a search on the site you will find all the answers to your questions and more.Definately worth the effort, awesome awesome fun especially when you tackle them with a 5# weight rod or less, its a great way to get into flyfishing and master or refine your techniques.Love to see a post by you sharing your success or issues encountered. GL BRO

Unfortunately the carp in the torrens aren't usually as visble as they are in some other waterways.

Depends which part of the Torrens you fish ;)This is my local part of the torrens in late summer :fishing:
I have also though about getting into fly fishing for carp......would be awesome fun, and as Highfly said, part of that is sight casting the big ones (which would suit some of my spots to a tee B) )

Bread flies work well, basically just some cotton tied onto a hook, once in the water it slowly sinks like a chunk of bread.I've also had luck on small red tag type flies.In the torrens during summer you can sight cast into any carp stuck in shallow pools.The henley beach road bridge used to be great when the river flowed through there after rains, the carp would sit in the current sucking up food which made great fun for sight casting to.If you want to cheat you can berley up with bread, once you see the carp sucking the bread off the water just cast towards those lips!