level wind over head reels

hey mate, i dont know about everyone else, but my views are;-levelwinds are notorious for sticking, and general wear, this is probably a result of poor maintainance but i thought it was a good point-I was advised that hooking a fish like a big kingfish, it may be able to outrun the levelwind system-When using braid the braid can rub through the levelwind runner

Not a big fan of them. They can reduce casting distance, and depending on the design of the reel, they can get out of sync with where the line is on the spool after a cast. The less moving parts the better.After a while laying line with your thumb becomes second nature, don't even have to think about it.

Not a big fan of the level winds, winding my Saltist 50 and guiding the line isn't even a thougt, My mate hooked something decent on a level wind reel (which the name of the reel escapes me at the moment) and it took a 300 metre run and busted the level winder clean off, so now its just a normal reel which he has to guide the line for. No level wind for me thanks.

Personally, i like levelwind on my small baitcasters. I use small abus for my whiting, snapper etc. Alot of people hate them, but I guess I just sorta stayed using them all these years.I have never had one let me down.On my bigger reels I dont have them. I prefer the Daiwa saltists etc. As Tully said, the less moving parts the better.At the end of the day, it just comes down to personal choice. I dont believe there is a right or wrong.

Levelwind:Posted ImagePosted ImageThe levelwind is the small circle the line passes through. This wind is operated on a worm drive to move from side to side and level the line on the spool as you wind.Non-Levelwind:Posted ImagePosted ImageWith these reels you manually level the line with your thumb as you wind.

Guest Butters

When using a reel that pulls a good amount of drag 8kg+ and using heavy line.. the level winds can get destroyed.. if the line is coming from the left hand side of the spool and the level wind is sitting on the right.. there is gonna be alot of side on pressure on the level wind.. sometimes breaking them.. i have 4 over head reels with out level winds and guiding the line back on isn't to hard to get sorted.. and if a fish takes a screeming run you get your thumb out the way of the line, especially braid...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shark hunter

hi kingfisher when it comes to a level wind i think it all depends on the quality of the reel.i use a penn inter975ld that comes with a levelwind .caught plenty of big rays & sharks never had a problem but you are looking at a $550 reel.a few years ago i did use a abu7000 swedish.hooked a ray after about 5min blew the levelwind.the reel you are using is a quality reel just make sure you keep the worm lubricated.cheers

do you have to guide the line on with your thumb even when your fightinga big kingie or something? i would imagin you would slice your thumb up a bit,

That's the beauty of braid mate, it cauterises as it cuts, so even though it hurts like buggery, ya dont go bleeding all over ya shiny new reel! ;DYa learn pretty quickly to get ya fingers out of the way when setting the hook and when line is peeling off! ;)I think when ya start getting into the heavy duty gear, ya might be better off without a levelwind, but the levelwind is a handy little item on the lighter outfits. Bear in mind it's pretty simple to remove the levelwind from a reel and levelwind reels still work perfectly with the levelwind removed.With ya levelwind reels, as suggested, definately keep the pawl lubricated, and if you're a beachfisher, watch out for grit and crap in the pawl, coz that'll stuff it up in no time flat!

i had my level wind completly ripped off my real by a big ray at the yorkes,( stansburry jetty) the line got out of wak with the level wind and the line was crossing the spool to the level wind and the rays last run just sent my little worm drive flying off the reel, left me fighting it for another hour and a half with a blown up rachet, and a ripped out level wind and i still lost it in the end! wat a day!