i cant remember details of the article just remember the pic. photo was in a backyard on the lawn.with the old man tied up with work and looking to be unable to get time off and mates availability not really coinciding with mine i reckon il be stuck yakking it! fingers crossed its legit because its that pic that's made me think its possible...

That would be the 15 year old butchers apprentice who had to call his mum to come down with the trailer to get his fish home?I think it turned out to be a hoax in the end.

nah that was at coffins the one your thinking of ranger. caught whilst going for snapper. not sure bout the pt agutta one though matt

Ay guys being kinda local 80 kms away im pretty sure its not a hoax. I can remeber the news report and reading it in the papers. There was a post on the site but cant seem to find it but i am looking. to get some inspiration look on Google or You Tube Port Augusta King Fish.Tight Lines

this was taken from the fishnet website but thos was the article from memoryFisher king Shane reels in monsterEvery time Shane Donald tucks into his dinner, it brings back memories of a struggle he had with a massive yellowtail kingfish.Fish and chips, smoked fish, barbequed fish……you name it, he’s eaten it for weeks-and will for a few more, thanks to his successful fishing adventure. The 15 year old caught the 39kg kingfish from his fibreglass kayak, about 50m off the Pt Augusta foreshore.The 1.5m long fish, almost as long as his kayak, is believed to be the second biggest caught in local waters, just behind a 40kg specimen hooked several years ago.“I was just fishing for snapper and wasn’t catching anything” Shane said. “I thought I’d try catching yellowtail, so I changed my rig. I was trying to catch snapper for four hours and about half an hour after I changed my rig, I caught it.”“It was pretty hard to pull in.”Shane, who works at a fast food shop as part of a vocational program through Pt Augusta High School, used a 1,8m rod with a whole pilchard on a large hook, and no sinker, to lure the fish.“It just took it and was dragging me everywhere” he said.He said “The kayak was being pulled along.”After battling with the monster fish for half an hour, he managed to lift it on to the kayak. He held it down by sitting on it and used his hands to paddle to nearby rocks, which he then used to drag himself and the fish to shore.Once back on land, Shane was faced with another challenge-how to get it home. He put it on his hand-pulled kayak trailer, with his boat, and tried to move it. Soon realising it was too heavy, he phoned his mother Cheryl, and asked her to bring the car and trailer.After a series of happy snaps, the fish was sliced into enough fillets to dish out to friends and family, and stock the freezer.“It’s really nice,” Shane said of the feed.“We’re trying to space out how often we eat it. I recon it will last a few months more.”South Australian fishing industry council general manager Neil MacDonald said Shane’s catch was “pretty darn unique”.“That’s one young man with a very big fish” he said. “The fact he even managed to land a 1.5m yellowtail kingfish is amazing. Pt Augusta is the kingfish capital of the world, so he was obviously in the right place, bit I haven’t heard of too many people getting a fish of that size.”Mr MacDonald said Shane’s achievement at such a young age was something most anglers would be unable to accomplish in a lifetime.“That puts him into the elite category,” he said.

I was up there last July/Aug in the yak downrigging with liveys and throwing 7" jerkshads.If you head down about 3 k's the squid grounds are in front of an area known as "the shacks" which make a great livebait. Alternatively around the mangroves right near the powerstation you can pull a few ST's with little bother.If you have the time you will also pick up a few decent yellowfin whiting in the shallows.The snotweed up there is what I've found to be a problem. If you dont know what it is, you will soon find out, and it's most aptly named too! :blink: