Qantas Baggage

Just booked flights to Cairns from Pt Lincoln.After booked and paid for flights i noticed Qantas' baggage rules have changed and i've been stung!Qantas now charge luggage per item as well as weight.If you get an E Ticket you're allowed only 1 item of checked luggage weighing up to 23kgs.Each additional item costs at least $20.It doesn't matter whether the combined weight of all your items is less than 23kgs you still get charged at least $20 (extra 20kgs) for each item over and above your limit of 1 item.In my case from Pt Lincoln to Adelaide its cost me an extra $40 because i have a Bag, Rod Tube and Tackle Box. Thats 3 items or 2 over the limit. The combined weight of all these items is 21kg which is less than my free limit of 23kgs!All up under the new rules i'm paying for 63kgs of luggage but only bringing 21kgs :angry: Luckily i'm flying jetstar to Cairns so don't get charged per item....yet!Oh yeah got charged $7.70 to pay with my visa card. Fancy that.....paying to pay :angry:

Sounds like Qantas are sqeezing every cent out thier customers. :evil:

Luckily i'm flying jetstar to Cairns so don't get charged per item....yet!

Just be careful with Jetstar and your rod tube length. I flew to Sydney with Virgin and had no problems with my rod tube, and flew back with Jetstar and they would not put it on the plane :angry: as it was to long for their baggage containers, my rod tube is only 7ft or 7.5ft. I ended up having to pay for it to go back to adelaide on an air courier service. :pinch: It might pay to check with Jetstar before you leave.

Yeah jetstar allow a rod tube to be up to 1.9 mteres long.If you're on an airbus A330 rather than A320 though then your rod tube can be as long as 2.7 metres i think.There's so much to research these days before booking. There's many different variables to consider depending on the carrier, the location you're travelling to, the type of plane you're in, the season, etcA ticket advertised for say $150 could very well cost $250-$300 by the time you factor in everything.

You want dodgy? Try using Tiger Airlines. I used them for the first and last time to go to Avalon last summer. I took my surfboard with me and it cost more to send the board than it did for me. And.... they caved the nose in on the way over. These budget airlines are definitely not very budget once you add it all up. I make sure to check all of the fine print before buying my tickets now.

i travel with my three piece travel rods and flew to queensland with tiger with my rod as carry on luggage only to be told by jet star on the return leg i cannot as its classed as a weapon :woohoo: :woohoo: one of the rods has a soft wrap style case so after much arguing they guaranteed it would be trated nice by the monkeys loading the plane and to their credit it arived in three pieces but have def learnt to read the print now..another one book online 1 chrged a fee to pay by card2 charged a fee to pick ya seats3 charged a fee to check in online but charged twice as much to check in at the airport..all of a sudden my $49 flights to melbourne cost me $90 oh thats right if i want to take luggage with me another bloody fee make that a $110- $49 flight and cancell booking.....

haha yeah scumbags!!The ACCC should put a stop to this crap of not incorporating all these standard costs into the advertised ticket price.Basically the advertised ticket just covers flying to a location with only the shirt of your back.

You need one of these mate not cheap but can carry all the gear you need will fit a tackle box plus your clothes.http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/blackwolf-bladerunner-110+30-wheel-tote-bag-black/My son uses on for Judo travel fits 4 competition Gi's plus his own clothesCheers Mark

I've always found jetstar's service to be excellent. Best of all the airlines i think.Yeah wouldn't go on tiger even if it was free.

Their service may be good, until you have a problem or unusual requirement. Then they are the worst.After all the drama and complete lack of service provided by Jetstar one time I refuse to use them ever again.If I fly anywhere local I try to book on Virgin. They have always had the most friendly and supportive customer service out of all the airlines for me.

yeah, was just stung bringing my 8" malibu.. only weighs 6kg or so.. and combined with my luggage i am still under weight. but i have extra stuff over here on the coast with me.. that i think might find itself stuffed into my surf board bag to get it across to adelaide next week.