pelican point and yabbies

I've seen guys pumping for them between snowdens and the sub base! I dunno the area from land, but if they can get in there you can too!I've also seen guys digging worms on the mud flat where the north arm meets the main river (just past the commercial marina/fish market), so that might be a good spot to check out also.

• 1 month later...

Pelican point has been closed for some time now.You can try Veitch road at low tide but think it had just about been dug out :) The other place is next to Outer Harbor boat ramp at low tide amongst the rocks ??Snowdens Beach is at Largs North, turn right or left depending which way you come where the Fire station is, over the railway line and turn left, follow the road and Maybe near the Marina inlet there might be something but have not really seen anybody digging for anything.Also a warning for those who fish at Veitch Road, rumour has it that it could be closed down ???????????? Will let you know when I know more. >:(

Real shame that its closed,that area is my bait shop in the warmer months,but its not the best spot for clickers, youll get a few but they arent plentiful.I go there to get sea worms and a species of sand worm ,which you get digging higher up the bank in between the rocks.If you are fishing metro beaches amongst other anglers for YFW,they will outfish any other bait at least 3 to 1.The only other bait as good is the elusive spaghetti worms,which can be dug on the sand from metro,when the tides out.Cheers

I did not say "It was closed down" I said rumor has it might be!!Why, well the subcorb, next is ASC which I believe will move in right next to the road to build destroyers then between Veitch rd and Mersey rd is an area where the rumor is that the Army might move in there.So I suppose they don't want any nosey parkers around yet one can drift in a tinny on the river and that's ok.I have paperwork where it says that it will not be closed, it will be a viewing and fishing area but then again, who believes politicians ??So time will tell, I usually go there a couple times a week but it's starting to strain the friendship, about 1 keeper in 10 if one is lucky so does not make it worthwhile.Only plus is plenty fresh air :icon_e_biggrin: and seeing bream fishers have a race up and down the river :icon_lol: ;D

Sorry to sound a pain in the backside pescados but in your previous post you say and I quote "pelican point is closed and it has been for some time now".Thats the area I was eluding to.Veitch Road became the access point because they closed off the way in from the tracks through the dunes on the container berth side.You could still weave your way in through the tracks from the veitch Road end.If that closes then its by boat only,The only way I can find out for sure is have a look for myself,as someone on another forum said the same thing last year and when I went there I found if you went through the motorbike tracks it was access as normal.Cheers 8)

Sorry Cal, thought you ment Veitch road.Last year I went to Pelican Point and no dice, no way of getting to the water.Next day I went down Veitch rd, chucked a left on to Mersey Rd and same thing, fences and no way through. Went back to Veitch road and found the river.On Mersey RD btw sub corp and power station is a track which led to the river, few people used it but subcorb security must have got sick of checking rego's, it was closed off, foot traffic only but have been told that is not a goer anymore either.In short there is Veitch Rd, Snowdens and Birk Tavern, Snowdens is useless never seen any one catch anything reasonable, don't know anything about the birk tavern area and Veitch Rd was fished out last winter by some greedy #$%^&*.So any one landbased who wants to fish the river might try the Eastern side as the western side is cactus. :(

Yeah cool pescados,no probs 8)I have a sneaking suspicion there is a big fence stopping access,they put up bollardsin the past but people drove around them,me included,,then you went over a bit of an embankment and the track led under the big power pylon in the middle of the dune area ,then onto a track that leads all the way to the fence at the power station.I"ll have to check it out,+ I have a 4x4 which made it easier,you could use a normal vehicle but it gets pretty feral with ruts ect.There is one other spot that reputably has good amounts of tubies[although I havent personally tried it]and will be investigated if PP is no access ,I can im it to you if you are interested.Cheers 8)

From Cal: There is one other spot that reputably has good amounts of tubies[although I havent personally tried it]and will be investigated if PP is no access ,I can im it to you if you are interested.Thanks Cal, always interested.More I like Veitch Rd because I can fish from the van, no lugging stuf around but those spots are far and few in between :icon_e_biggrin:

• 2 months later...

CalI have seen people digging worms near the rocks at the subbase but it looks like a lot of hard work. Are you talking about the little red worms that are found under the rocks??This is the spot where I get my tubies from but haven't been there since last summer.David

G"day Dave,yes I did mean both tubies and the little red worms.On those worms,there are actually 3 types.They are all what can be called centipede worms or bristle worms or commonly known as sea worms.The first type is usually found close to the waters edge and are very small and break easily,still top bait but very fiddly.The second type can be found by breaking up the ground in an under loose small rock,a bit further back from the edge , between the low tide mark and the high tide mark.These look like a minature tubie and are up to a good size and thickness to put on a size 6 long shank,and are reasonably tough,not great but very useable.No 1 of them all is the pink coloured ones,that look like a sandy coloured tube worm.These are harder to come by and are found by digging around the larger rocks just above or on the high tide mark where the sand is just moist.They live on the edge of the rocks where the sand meets them,you have to dig right in close to the underside of the rock.Absolutely a superb bait that can put fish in the bag no matter how touchy they are.You can keep them in an icecream container in the fridge for a couple of weeks with a damp tea towell covering them,but there is another secret.You keep them in composted sand and matter found around the base of mangrove trees,which we use to dig from the stands of mangroves in the Mutton Cove area up past the sub base.For some reason they thrive in this stuff.Now the area is off limits its probably stuffed it all up, but when chasing mullet and YF off the metro beaches these baits although hard work to procure,are gun and well worth the effort.Cheers