Up Dating ABU7000

Between my lad and I have 3 ABU 7000 and a 7000i C3 and had for 15 yrs.Started having trouble with the casting with older braid, backlashing which started p :c ing me of.So I put some Suffix 832 30 lb braid on which fixed that problem.In the meantime we bought a Shimano TLD 25 and a Charter series which have very smooth drags.Didn't want to get rid the ABUs just yet as the internals looked in good shape, so I fitted some Carbontex drag washers with light oil and this improved it heaps, but still not as smooth as the Shimanos.Posted ImageSo the next step was to remove a springy thing behind the large gear next to the narrow drag washer.Posted ImageAnother improvement, but still not quite there.Posted ImageThe last ABU that rebuilt, I put auto trans oil on the Carbontex drag washers, remove springy thing and bingo, silky smooth drag.Fitted it on a Shimano TCurve Snapper OH 702 and turned it into a powerful light combo. :fishing:PS Also casts vey nicely too :P

thinking of getting some carbontex washers for some of my older reels did you get them off the net ???cheers 4THA

Got mine and other parts from SportsFishing Scene, the guys were very helpful in tuning these reels.Going to try some Shimano drag grease on one of the ABU's in the next week or two. B)