Metro Snapper pics

Guest xtrafishyfish

I think my heavy duty snapper rod has 50 pound and my general snapper rod I use for the local snapper has 30lb braid... I don't like losing snapper as it spooks the rest of the fish and puts them off so I tend to fish a bit heavier than most blokes do these daysI got that big 30lb snapper using a large salmon head and a 9/0 megabait hook.... big baits equals big fish :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some like to cajole the big ones into the boat with 10 KG line but you are right Ospray, there is nothing worse than losing a fish from your only big run of the day because you were fishing with rugger gear. My advice, fish with the heavier line but don't use a shark rod, you will have a lot of fun with say a 15 Kg flexible rod. Cheers....................Stoney {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

what do you guys mean ten kilo light? have any of you guys broken ten on a snapper? its very hard to do with good drag setting and a little skill you should never loose a big snapper on it. i got my latest ten kilo snap on ten kilo in under 3 mins. and a fight like that is all pleasure, and was safe a houses.

what do you guys mean ten kilo light? have any of you guys broken ten on a snapper? its very hard to do with good drag setting and a little skill you should never loose a big snapper on it. i got my latest ten kilo snap on ten kilo in under 3 mins. and a fight like that is all pleasure, and was safe a houses.

i couldnt agree more there richard most guys would get ripped out the boat if you were using 50lb to its full limits and snapper arnt big fighters like yellowtail and you can still subdue kings on 15kg tackle but each to there own
Guest Butters

i think 30lb mono which i use is plenty.. i also have a lighter rod which i use 6kg...i think to use 50lb to its max, would need some serious tackle to get that sort of drag pressure :? also i think you would probably find yourself pulling the hooks more on fish that might just be lightly hooked?? there is no real right and wrong answer, as long as we are all catching big fish {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Looks like we need a records section, so we can hold bragging rites until beaten, it might take a bit of working out how to get it set up, as there are many categories to consider, and of course a witness is more than likely needed, toss that one around boys and we will see what the results are :roll:

• 1 month later...

no weights there butters just got them in and rushed them back in the water If they were bigger id way them IT definatly looks like its going to be another great season we also got heaps of slimey macs great snapper bait and a flathead and stingrays and 2 doggies

guruLeave the poor sea birds alone!

Am i reading this rightI never considered you much of a conservationist.
yeah man, think of the poor birds.
i understand your feelings about the poor bird accidents happen but in saying that rays and sharks and fish in general probably hurt just as much as birds so whats the difference in that :shock: anyway enough said about that bird the bloody thing is now chasing someone elses bait :lol:

I must have cursed myself becuase today when my mate and I went for a fish in the port for mullies, there was about 5 shags just circling around us, nailing each and every live bait. I couldn't help but think back to how addict must have felt. I had to de-hook one of the bastards and he pecked me. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...