Mulloway on the Fly

After reading about Mulloway on hardbodies .Has anyone caught a Mulloway on a fly ? Last year I was sent a webpage(which i lost the address to) on catching them in South Africa using white Clousers.Has anyone caught a mullie on a fly ?What did fly did you use ?And how did you fish the fly ?CheersMick

Hi! Mickyj, I caught a couple of mullies in front of Seventh Creek in the Spencer Gulf about four years ago. Using a 7-8wt rod #7 WF sinking line and a "Seadeever" (Variation on a Deceiver ) in white and chartreuse on an 0/2 double hook. The fly is slow to medium sinking and I used a very slow retrieve to mimic a minnow. The fish were both around seven kilos.RogerG

Micky,Check out the current edition of Wild Coast SA. It has an article which broaches the subject and the shows some good lures. Bruce Brown is a ledgendary SA flyfisho who has caught many Jews over the years and ties his own mulloway flies which are available for purchase. The best colours are a mix of Green/chart back with a white middle and orange underbelly. Obviously steely blues and greys are good in ultra clear water too. The best local places are the Commercial Rd Bridge (Onkaparinga), Old Noarlunga (Onk). Near King Street (Patowalunga). Price Creeks and of course Glenelg River around Nelson.Hope that helps some...

Micky,Check out the current edition of Wild Coast SA. It has an article which broaches the subject and the shows some good lures. Bruce Brown is a ledgendary SA flyfisho who has caught many Jews over the years and ties his own mulloway flies which are available for purchase. The best colours are a mix of Green/chart back with a white middle and orange underbelly. Obviously steely blues and greys are good in ultra clear water too. The best local places are the Commercial Rd Bridge (Onkaparinga), Old Noarlunga (Onk). Near King Street (Patowalunga). Price Creeks and of course Glenelg River around Nelson.Hope that helps some...

Thanks Yak interesting to see Green works on Mullies as well.Some very big fish in the Lake .not sure how to get one to take a fly mind you .But its fun to try .Any way to get this site Firefox friendly very hard to read the posts .

G"day Micky, I have fished with a gun fly fisho for mullies on several occassions, and he used a deciever, tied in chartesse with white as spoken about, with a tinselly silver flash down the middle.I have first hand witnessed how effective it can be, if the fish are there the fly is the best presentation IMO , they will slam them.The only problem is around structure controlling a ramaging mully on fly gear, even though he fished heavy i saw him get busted off several times.I think its the same as livebaiting/luring ect , its just a matter of persisting and putting in the hours and eventually it will come together.Brenton and i fished WL with lures til 4.00 am this morning without even a sniff, went from one end of the lake to the other, trying everything for zero but thats mully fishing. :'( :'(Cheers 8)

G"day Micky, I have fished with a gun fly fisho for mullies on several occassions, and he used a deciever, tied in chartesse with white as spoken about, with a tinselly silver flash down the middle.I have first hand witnessed how effective it can be, if the fish are there the fly is the best presentation IMO , they will slam them.The only problem is around structure controlling a ramaging mully on fly gear, even though he fished heavy i saw him get busted off several times.I think its the same as livebaiting/luring ect , its just a matter of persisting and putting in the hours and eventually it will come together.Brenton and i fished WL with lures til 4.00 am this morning without even a sniff, went from one end of the lake to the other, trying everything for zero but thats mully fishing. :'( :'(Cheers 8)

Have met Brenton at the lake .I may fish very light for large mullies .But as I wrote in the HB lure topic .Part of the hunting for me is walking the lake and looking .Have seen so many large fish chased shore wards by kids in kayak and dragon boats .And been broken off by large fish around 10 or 11 am not a normal mullie time.Spoken with one SP chap at the lake who had caught Mullies around 9 am.Maybe time is not an issue as we have all thought but more like when the fish are hungry.

ok guys have been trying to make a fly that rattles .No pictures just yet looks awful and the rattle has stopped working when I tied it on .but have superglued it on so will take off the thread in the morning and see if it still rattles .If not I will try again .