Shimano Stradic Ci4

Gday.I've been looking at getting one of these reels for some time now and hopefully the day will come very soon!The only question is... 3000 or 4000 size?It's going to go on a 7' graphite rod rated to 17lb and most likely be spooled with 15lb braid.My initial thoughts are to go for the 3000 size but the rod is actually a 3 piece rod I was going to use as an all-rounder when travelling light so I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the 4000 given the extra line it'll hold. Or will the 4000 be a bit big for a 7' 17lb rod?Does anyone happen to have the reel in both sizes that can comment?Any other thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome and greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.Cheers.

It all comes down to feel as very rarely are you going to hook a fish that will question your line capacity.I like the 4000 sized reel better for snapper fishing but thats just me, and Ive snapper fished with both the 3000 sized reels and 4000 sized stradics.I prefer to feel that I have a big and robust reel on my rod.If your going to be throwing 5" plastics for inshore reef reds then the 3000 would be killer, but if your also planning on throwing some 7" plastics at monster reds on deep drops, then although the 3000 will still do the trick due to both having 7kg of drag, I feel the 4000 is better suited and feels better throwing big 7" plastics on bigger jig heads.The 4000 will be better suited to dropping big baits down too, like whole fish and will give you the option of fishing live macks as well.

• 4 weeks later...