Chemically sharpened Hooks

I have been out of this fishing game for a bloody long time (shooting was the reason) and on my trip yesterday to grab some hooks i noticed how much things have changed. The amount of soft plastics and lures is mind blowing! Anyway, i picked up some Gamakatsu chemically sharpened hooks in a bulk pack and thought i would compare them to the Jarvis Walker chemically sharpened hooks for a third of the price. I don't know about anyone here but, i found there to be bugger all difference in the sharpness (if any!). I don't need my tackle box to be a brand name box so i think i will just go with the cheapies next time. What do you guys think? I don't care if my tackle box is full of Force Ten shit if i or the fish,can't see the decrease in quality ;) At some of the prices for bait and terminal tackle these days i think shooting was the cheaper option! :c

As has been said, you get what you pay for with hooks.When you are using braid there is a lot more pressure put on the hooks and they will straighten or bend and snap even with only a couple of kilo's of drag.Gama's, Owner's, Black Magiks and Mustad's are good in my book. Try it for yourself, tie some line to a couple and hook it up to a set of scales and see what pressure you need to break or bend them.

Thanks for the replies guys! It should be said that the "force Ten" reference was only a joke and these hooks were only intended for small bread and butter fish. I have never gone for Snapper which will change soon. I have always wanted to catch one but never tried! Will not skimp on the hooks for a possible Big Red! ;) I only have a 4.1 tinny with a 25hp on it so won't be heading out miles to catch em :(

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys! It should be said that the "force Ten" reference was only a joke and these hooks were only intended for small bread and butter fish. I have never gone for Snapper which will change soon. I have always wanted to catch one but never tried! Will not skimp on the hooks for a possible Big Red! ;) I only have a 4.1 tinny with a 25hp on it so won't be heading out miles to catch em :(

Goodluck to you, there's more than enough locations within your reach to get amongst some big Reds all over the state and local. Ive used Gama's basically since they hit the market for all my Snapper fishing and thinking of moving to circle hooks as these have been getting alot of good raps lately.