virgin solo night fisher

Best advice I can give is to check the area out during daylight to be sure of the location of unmarked poles shallow areas etc :( Watch out for ppl with no lights too :whistle: Last time out at night we missed an unlit boat by about 20 metres. :c Next time after I know where they are I might go back and miss them by only 5 :dry: Sounds like someone might be after a snapper ;) :woohoo:

having the ability to have the work area to be well lit is also helpful certain situations and also for safety getting bug hooks stuck in a hand or foot cause of trying to work in the dark is the quickest way to turn it into a bad night!And its always the way be careful of other boats some fisho's leave their lights off to protect spots so always give caution and travel at lower speeds to normal even is the water conditions are good!

SighI`ve always been amazed by the mentality of the lights off brigade. Wonder if there was a blitz by Mr Water Plod whether things would change, at least for a while, with word getting around of a few people getting busted?What part of "Vessels at anchor, either sail or power-driven, must show a single white light visible all round."is so bloody hard to understand...Not that a blitz is ever likely to happen, one could be forgiven for thinking they save their efforts up for checking boats re having snapper on board before midday on season opening day.And frequently maintaining a presence on the North coast of KI, obviously lots more people fishing there than Adelaide metro or SVG... :whistle:

Possibly another thing to add here, is why contemplate going solo at night unless you really have no other option?In all my years of boating and solo trips, I have never been out alone at night, and it's nice to know that you have a second pair of eyes and someone else to rely on just in case anything did happen to go wrong at night.

Possibly another thing to add here' date=' is why contemplate going solo at night unless you really have no other option?In all my years of boating and solo trips, I have never been out alone at night, and it's nice to know that you have a second pair of eyes and someone else to rely on just in case anything did happen to go wrong at night.[/quote']This is solid advice mate. Whether it's my mate or my dad in the co pilot seat, we always have that person as a second pair of eyes, or vice versa if they are driving. The only drama with going solo is the extra vigilance required and that goes for day or night. Like sounding your mark alone... It can be easy to be staring away at the screen and that can be dangerous.Once you know your area pretty well in daylight, then it's probably okay to go at night. Our average launch Before sun up, is a very practiced event with everyone knowing what we are doing and simPle enough to do blind folded. In the port there's heaps of unlit stuff out there from the squiggly skinny channel at back of torrens island to useless structure in the main river. The spotlight is best handled by my number two because in it's mount it's all but useless as the light simply bounces off the water. With a mate scanning around, and confirming everything is where it's supposed to be, things tend to go without a hitch. I have found in the past that I haven't enjoyed going out at night solo, mainly because I'm concentrating more on being too safety conscious and not really enjoying my time on the water. What I do enjoy is getting out and fishing sunset, having a early hours snooze and comming in as the sun comes up. That good for snapper and sharking out local and I prefer it to being on the move too much at night solo. Each to there own, but like a lot of stuff with boats, once you do things a little bit more challenging, it makes everything else seem real easy. Happy adventures bud ;)

hey mate best of luck. not sure about heading out solo tho :S. think of heading out for my maiden night time trip but i wont be going alone ;). i set my boat up with a led light in the cabin that gives enough light to see what your doing but not enough to scar the fish (hopfully). get a head lamp aswell and defenetly a good spotty. take your time be aware of your surrounding and i reckon youe be fine. just take your time like i plan to do ;) good luck