New User - Chasing Bronzies

Hey guys im a new member and trying to learn the ropes so a nudge in the correct direction would be great if im posting in the wrong place. I have had luck catching small bronzies and lost many larger ones. I have recently upgraded to a penn senator 6/0 spooled up with 50lb mono paired with a 5'5" 24kg rated single roller rod and plan on heading to black pole. Any tips for fishing this area or in general related to ballooning off the boat/rigging techniques and tips to increase my chances would be greatly valued. I often chase snapper in the Gulfs and encounter many sharks, only recently deciding to chase them this season. cheers

Head to the John Robb wreck during the November snapper ban and send out a snook or bonito under a balloon. Otherwise live slimy Mack is ideal. Your still most likely to get a bronzie, but this month (November) is best for the hammerheads!!!! Overnight is the best time. The gear you're using sounds ideal, remember the light line for the balloon and make sure you ne'er bring a live shark on board if you're after a feed. I've seen a crew stupid enough to bring a bronzie on board and it didn't end real well. They can go spaz boatside, but even when they seem spent they WILL have more in em till there either dead or released to swim well clear and give someone else a bit o fun. We shark fish with an old rollered tuna trolling rod and an old tr200 shimano overhead with 50pound mainline and a wire trace. It's a budget splapped together outfit but has served us well metro. By the way, that whole area from black to bastard pole is very good for what you're after. Tight lines mate, welcome to the site and I hope you have some fun out there :)

I would agree that the area out from the Section Bank to the Black Pole is good for Bronzies.The littlies move in early in the season with larger ones coming later.I never use anything heavier than 15kg for the Bronzies out there (TLD 20, Charter Special, or even Saltiga threadline).Plenty of burley in a steady stream to attract interest.I prefer a livey suspended under a balloon, but Bronzies aren't real smart and will readily accept any presented flesh or strip bait.As already suggested, ensure they are properly spent before bringing them aboard, but you would already know the damage a green fish can do when brought aboard too early to trash your boat.A light tap on the head will tell you if they are spent or not, so loosen the drag when you get the fish boatside, just in case they decide to take off on another run and snap you off.I always give em a good whack with a priest prior to bringing them aboard.I use braid myself, but I think you are doing the wise thing by using mono due to the extra give in the line.I only target the littlies up to about 5'. I remove the fins immediately and cut both behind the head and in front of the tail to bleed them. After catching my feed I also call it a day and head in as soon as possible with the carcass, so that I can start filletting it quickly when back on land.Unlike any other seafood, shark is NOT best fresh! Always freeze it prior to use, as the freezing will help get rid of any residual ammonia taste.Be careful removing the gut, as you do not want to prick or cut the bile duct, otherwise the green bile will destroy the flesh.Keep a sharpening stone or hone on hand, as shark skin will blunt your knives very very quickly.I do not try to salvage the two gut flaps, but instead cut down behind the head, then slick below the backbone to remove the entire head and gut on one large unit.After then removing the tail, a large fillet is taken from each side to remove the backbone.Some use pliers to peel the skin from each fillet, but I have found it easier to lay the fillet skin side down and remove it with a filletting knife by holding the knife still and pulling the skin.After that it's just a matter of cutting each fillet into meal sized portions..........and resharpening all your knives.

Cheers heaps for your reply! definately pumped to head out there. I didnt realise many hammers came through John Robb! would definately be a bonus to hook one. If im successful and plan on keeping one for the table, would roping the tail be the most successful?thanks again, ill keep you posted!

I didnt realise many hammers came through John Robb! would definately be a bonus to hook one. If im successful and plan on keeping one for the table' date=' would roping the tail be the most successful[/quote']We only have a short window of opportunity at the hammerheads, as they only seem to be in the metro area for around 8 weeks or so, and I only know of little ones.They are more picky and harder to catch than bronzies too, so I would always opt for a livey and light wire.I consider myself quite lucky to have nailed one, as it's a species I have waited quite a few years to cross off my list. They also taste much better than bronzie.I wont bore everyone with more photos of it.

Ive been meaning to fish this area for a while, must really get onto it.Couple questions, whats the bycatch in this area whilst waiting for a grey suit? any squid around? and I'm assuming where the small fish are, the bigs ones cant be too far away, just dont fancy big mumma white giving my poor little Rowback a nudge/chew in the twillight hrs :blink::blink: