What rod should I get?

Hi guys,I'm planning to buy a rod that'll be strong enough for mully and snapper fishing so I'm guessing something around the 2.4m range. Just wondering what combo would you recommend and what price range am I looking at for a decent rod. I am not fussed about the brand, just after a nice rod and reel combo. Not keen on OH's. :pCheers.

baits or plastics lures ???? i love my terez feels so so nice.. made by shimano cant go wrong... however i have found a new love in the samaki range... so so light yet so powerful.. :) so something around those lines.. with either a rarenium 4000 or a baitrunner type reel... I like the okuma baitrunner reels... but personal preference i guess... good luck :)

Bait. I'll stick to bait first before going on lure. Any rod that'll support live baiting. :P Might also add that I'd like to try for rays. I'm assuming that rods for mullies and snaps work for rays too.Thanks for the suggestions, southie. I'll look up the prices of your suggested combos. Gotta know how much I need to save up. :D

That definitely sounds reasonable. My Silstar power tip rod was 115 from memory...I take it for the reel you'd definitely stick with the rarenium? I'll have to visit the shops to test the reel out. So 4000 series reels would be the reels I'm looking at for the species I'm after? Would you use a 20lb or 30lb line? Or maybe even a 15lb line just for the challenge? I've got a power pro 15lb braided line sitting around right now. :P

Hi guys' date='I'm planning to buy a rod that'll be strong enough for mully and snapper fishing so I'm guessing something around the 2.4m range. Just wondering what combo would you recommend and what price range am I looking at for a decent rod. I am not fussed about the brand, just after a nice rod and reel combo. Not keen on OH's. :pCheers.[/quote']2.4m is around the 8foot mark. May I ask why that length? Will you be landbased or on a boat cuz you didn't say.

i reckon 4000 would be the goer... as i said i like rareniums as they haave a spare spool... however i also got the strdic ci4 there nice, the fj stradics are smooth as to, and ive just bought a shimano technium 4000 around the 200 mark 8kg of drag holds alot of line and has a spare spool ;) but im more of a fan of shimano then diawa.. but yeh i just suggest talk to the boys at the tackle shop and see what feels good for you.. as something i like might be different for you ;)

Hi guys' date='I'm planning to buy a rod that'll be strong enough for mully and snapper fishing so I'm guessing something around the 2.4m range. Just wondering what combo would you recommend and what price range am I looking at for a decent rod. I am not fussed about the brand' date=' just after a nice rod and reel combo. Not keen on OH's. :pCheers.[/quote'']2.4m is around the 8foot mark. May I ask why that length? Will you be landbased or on a boat cuz you didn't say.
I'll be land based. I'm not sure what the appropriate length is but 2.4m is just a guess.

Ok so your landbased.. 8ft gonna be too short mate. Especially if your bait fishing and live baiting, you wanna get that bait a good distance out. For example..my Westlakes mully rod is a 9fter and that doubles as my snapper rod on jetties. If I'm targeting them at beaches its a 12ft surf rod. The sweet spot should be just over 10ft.. I recommend one of the Daiwa Jig Casters or the Seajiggers. Trust me your gonna have trouble casting big baits out on anything shorter than 9ft.

Oh and when your baitfishing on land for those two species, I wouldn't use anything under 20lb minimum. You don't wanna risk losing a big fish on 15lb that you got.For live baiting mullies, the standard for me is 30lb braided mainline with 60lb leader. Since you're wanting to target the two species on the one rod, better off not to be at a disadvantage. Anyway hope it helps!

Gday PikkOn,As a general rule for mullies off the beach an fsu 5120 wrap is recommended...Yes they are a bit stiffer but if you have a large fish on they come into their own and if something unforseen happens you can put the hurt on without worrying about snapping the rod...Snyder makes a good fsu 5120 - and if you want to go for something a bit longer and more easy to cast - a wilson fsu 6144 is a good all round strong rod....Best talking to your local fishing shop to explain the wrap...As for reels - and there are many - I am old school Penn 9500 (eggbeater), they hold a lot of line - have a wide spool and are built to last - and for what they are are pretty cheap to purchase...Again reels are wide and varied and im sure you will find something that works for you..Hope you get on to a few... Cheers..